Intersection between 3D solid and surface

Hi,

There is 3D solid geometry and the surface, I am looking to create the polyline around the intersection to cut the surface. I understand that can be done via dynamo, kindly help.

Thanks

I understand that you want to create a new surface area which depends on solid boundary. If I am right, I think that you do not have to do that by using Dynamo. If you create a boundary from your solid, you can crate the cropped surface. But if I am not right, could you define the problem more?

1 Like

Thanks for replying.

I do not want to manually create the polyline to cut the surface. See the image, the solid currently is square box. However in real situation it is not a square its of complex shape and I need to cut the surface with help of polyline, thus need to create polyline around square solid.

You can intersect the solid as a Dynamo solid with a horizontal plane, this returns a surface, you can take the perimeter curves and create a PolyCurve and send it to Civil 3D as a Polyline.
Things to keep an eye on:

• Does the elevation of the plane affect the intersection?
  • Does the solid contains voids so that the intersecting surface has more than one perimeter?

Alternatively you can extract the faces of the solid, take either the top or bottom faces (you can check their normal vectors and verify if they are horizontal), extract the edges and their geometry, create a PolyCurve and sent to Civil 3D as a Polyline.

2 Likes

test_cut surface.dwg (2.1 MB)

Hi,

No void in the solid, attach is the file. Never used Dynamo for Civil 3D, starting to create first such workflow.

Thanks

Hi @Suresh_Chotrani,

Here’s an example for you to try. This will take some time when applied to your example file because the TIN surface has a lot of triangles, but just be patient and the graph should finish executing after a minute or two. I added lots of notes to help clarify each step.

IntersectionExample.dyn (35.3 KB)

8 Likes

@mzjensen
Even if I’m not the starter of the thread I appriciate your effort and will have a look at it to learn more.
Thanks.
Wish you all a Happy New Year

2 Likes

@mzjensen Thanks

1 Like