Intersect surface with lines to get points and create piles

Hello Dynamo Friends :slight_smile:

Just installed Civil and am using it for the first time to help some coworkers out.
Would be great if someone could help me on my first baby steps.

But first about the project:
We have to create thousands of piles, placed on a civil 3d surface, which we are getting from Leapfrog Geo. These piles should be filled with some parameters, so our idea is to get intersection points in civil and later use this points in revit to place families.

So i started by selecting a surface and creating lines, but

• I can not get the surface i selected visible in the dynamo 3d view
    and
  • I can not intersect lines and surfaces.

Happy about any advice :slight_smile:

kind regards

Not at the CPU so I can’t show this, but…

Check the options for Surface in the Civil3D portion of the Dynamo library. There is a node like ‘elevation at point’ which will give you the elevation on the surface for a given point which will make short work of this. No need to pull the surface geometry or do any intersections.

1 Like

got it, but still struggling to see my surface in dynamo.
So i tried to get the points to civil, also without success.

Points would likely want to be pushed as coho points.

I believe the surface has a geometry node in civil 3D toolkit. But be warned: it’s often so time consuming that it isn’t worth pulling over. Push the points to Civil instead and visualize there. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Surface.SamplePoint node might get you what you need in this case.

Regarding the visualization…the Civil 3D surface itself won’t be visualized by default. You’ll need to “convert” to Dynamo geometry it order to see it. A few approaches:

1. Use the TinSurface.Triangles node. It won’t be an actual surface, but will give you something.
  2. You can patch those Polycurves to get an actual Dynamo surface, but it’s pretty heavy and slow to do that.
  3. The Civil 3D Toolkit package has a node called TinSurfaceExtensions.GetMesh that is the fastest way to visualize. There are some limitations with meshes, but if all you’re doing is trying to see the surface, then it’s a good option.
  4. The Camber package has a node to get the triangles within a boundary. This can be a faster approach if you don’t need to get ALL of the triangles.
3 Likes

Ok, my dynamo experience really is worthless in civil :smiley: That will be a long way to understand how this all works.

But for now I´m super happy, Surface.SamplePoint and TinSurface.Triangles is exactly what i wanted.

And also pushing the cogo points to civil works, just don´t know how to get them visible in civil, I`ll need a training by one of my coworkers^^

Thanks for all the help!

3 Likes

This is one way to set style

Other way is to prepare the dwg-file with a CogoPointgroup with predefined point style and label style and then add the points to that group

1 Like