Inconsistent Output by MEPFittingByPointsandCurve in a Sample Project vs Actual project

Hi All
I am trying to split cable trays based on the points and this node (MEPFittingByPointsandCurve from MEPover package) helped me to achieve that.
snap from Sample project I created from scratch.

However when I use the same script in my actual project it does not give the desirable output as it places these trays and fittings somewhere at the bottom. I don’t know why it’s happening.
All suggestion are welcome and highly appreciated for your time.

This was changed

Into this

Regards
Nirmal

@christian.stan @jacob.small @GavinCrump
Tagging you all like this may not be ideal, but I require assistance. Have any of you faced a similar issue? If so, please share your response.

Regards,
Nirmal

I’m assuming your test file doesn’t have any project coordinates set up but your actual model does?

I’ve come across this a couple of times. You may have to translate the points by the Z component of the survey point to get them into the correct place on the Z axis.

1 Like

That is for sure.
But I have fed the points that are on the curve which I got from the geometry(curve from Cable Tray). So to my knowledge I am supplying the correct points and If I do not provide it the correct points then it does not split the elements and results null. However, I will give it a try and get back to you.

Thanks
Nirmal

I haven’t done a deep dive on the why, I’ve just found that whenever my script does everything right except the Z axis placement, it usually ends up being exactly the same as the survey point. Elements is 16.220m too low? Bet the survey point’s Z will be -16.220. Add 16.220 to my Z values and away I go.

May not be the issue you’re experiencing here and I’ve never used those nodes, just guessing as it looks like they’re in the right spot just 20m below the model.

3 Likes

Without script/model we can’t help really.

I agree with Hamish, the logic of how the z values are being processed looks incorrect. They seem to be getting flattened to Z=0 so look for any steps which move points or discard Z aspects.

1 Like

Cannot help without a dataset.

It worked! I achieved my goal by translating the Z value of the points based on the negative value of survey point’s location.
difference was exactly the z value of Survey point -218.650-487.581 = -706.231

Thanks @Hamish and @GavinCrump for your time.

2 Likes