Improvement: Dynamo Animation?

Hi guys! It’s really exciting to see the constant improvements you are developing for this increasingly powerful parametric tool! I was thinking that it would be amazing to be able to create an animation output of the dynamic changes that we would be creating in our dynamo definitions. For example, if I had created geometry to move, expand/contract, etc. to the movement of the sun throughout the day, could I get a time-lapse animation that demonstrates the adaptive ability defined in the design?

My thought would be exporting a series of images that are exported after Dynamo evenly breaks up the animating factor (the sun or some driving slider) to capture the adapting geometric design. I hope this makes some sense. The desire is having a solid way to represent the dynamic and adaptive designs that we have worked so hard to formulate.

Keep up the great work guys!
-Tim

1 Like

This is (partly) already possible with Dynamo. Have a look at this blog post by Michael Kirschner (it’s part of a longer series on optimization, but you’ll see that it’s relevant to what you’re looking for):

http://dynamobim.org/part-1changing-a-family-instance-and-saving-an-image/

So you see the basic functionality is there. All that is lackingin your case is a way of incrementally controlling sun movement. Not sure if you have any coding experience, but if so: you could build a custom Python node that does just that. Here’s where you need to access the Revit API:

http://revitapisearch.com/html/d616614b-a2ed-b0d0-4f11-f0a0b54a22e5.htm

Could this be what you’ve been looking for: Image-O-matic

Hi Andreas and Jostein!
Thanks for the quick replies. I apologize for not getting back and checking the forum. These are both GREAT resources and I think I’m going to try the Image-O-Matic extension for Revit first and go from there. With the sun path it would be really nice to be able to assign a parameter to control its movement and finalize the automated image output. I could see how being able to control the sun could open up very intelligent daylighting studies of interior spaces for the changing seasons. With dynamo you could run something similar to the example Radiation Orientation Optimizer definition but for interior light conditions. Thinking out loud a bit but I’m not sure if Dynamo would be best suited or if working inside of Ecotect would be more effective for that responsiveness desired. I’m student just breaking into both programs so I welcome your suggestions and thoughts!

-Tim