Import multiple .obj mesh in revit with dynamo

Hi everyone !
I’m super new in using dynamo and I’m trying to import several little meshes in .obj format in revit but I can only load one at a time. Any idea how to import them all at once ? Or maybe import and save them as family element for instance ? I’m trying to find some commands in dynamo but cannot find any solution to program it. (also I am using some commands from MeshToolkit Package)
Thanks in advance for your help !

I am also looking for the answer to this. It seems most of the nodes for linking DWGs don’t necessarily work with .objs. OP did you find a solution to this?

Can you post a couple of .obj files so we can look at the complexity and format?

Also what is the origin (software) of the obj files? Might be easiest to do a bulk export into a format which has a bulk importer.

Yes so these .obj files are generated meshes from point cloud data. Poly count is pretty high, but they seem to work fine and the project actually runs pretty well, I just have to import them one at a time. They must be imported internal origin to internal origin. The other file format options I have native to the program I am using are:
fbx
stl

In our testing it seems .objs seem to run the best in Revit when comparing them to .sat and .stl. We are currently working on going the IFC route, but this will not be implemented for a couple months.

I have been trying to educate myself regarding directshape after seeing this mentioned in quite a few posts, would this be a better route? I am still trying to understand the concept behind it.

It depends on the intended use. By the sounds of it you should be importing the geometry into the family environment, not into the project.

There are significant imitations with non-native geometry though, so if you have walls/pipes, etc. then you likely want to generate native content where possible.

I am 100% with you on native objects, but we are constrained to using multiple complex meshes inside Revit. This is not by choice, I feel our current workflow is more a workaround due to Revit’s lack of support/modernity. This process will also be executed by novice Revit users so simplicity is key.

All these meshes are already placed within the same coordinate system, so upon import or link they are all aligned. Importing into a family would be great, but then how do we place the family in the project environment and maintain that internal origin? Families could be placed on the project origin upon load/placement but then we would either have objects super farm from the origin inside the family, or nested meshes that when placed have nothing to align to.

IFC would be ideal, but Revit’s support of complex BREPs (if at all) under 4x3 is unstable and generations behind intentionally. I get it, I have ran a business too. Just running out of options.

What is your preferred tessellated mesh format for Revit?

Thanks

1 Like

Certainly sounds like it is by choice. Why do you feel you are locked into this workflow?

I can ensure you that Revit’s support of IFC is not something which is done intentionally - interoperability is a massive effort, and changes to support one workflow can’t break another, which is often the case with the tangled mess which is interoperability.

I can’t say without knowing what the meshes are, and the scope you’re going to use them for. If you’re doing design work with them, my response is don’t use tessellated data. It’s slower, restricting, and lacks the ability to put data which is usually required for aec projects. If it’s unmodified base data like an existing hiatoric facade, generate a direct shape and call it a day.

1 Like