How to substract 2 models

I have architectural model that i being sent to me by architects, and another model in which i have placed openings as mechanical equipment family.

What i would like to do is to substract these 2 models, so i end up with architectural model which has holes(voids, openings), in places where mechanical equipment is.

I am not asking for finished script, but for general guidelines how to achieve this.

I managed to do it in simple model. I turn all arch elements and my mech equipment to solids, use node for solid difference, and everything is ok. But the problem is with big models, where solids cannot be joined and i get EDGECOIN.PROBLEM.

Also, how to do this with linked models?

Any ideas?

Are you wanting to create voids in the Dynamo geometry or do you actually want openings in the Revit model? These are two very different things.

If you want to create openings in the model then you need a family that can create those openings (like the mechanical equipment family). You can either copy them directly from the existing mode or you can create your own.

I would like to create openings in Revit model, but I don’t know if I can make openings(void) in all of the categories that architects use. Sometimes they send it as IFC, sometimes its Revit file, so I would like to be flexible there.

is it possible to have Central Revit file, in it I link Arch model and Openings model(with mech equipment acting as openings), then I use Dynamo to take all relevant Arch elements, turn them to Generic model or something else if necessary , take all Mech equipment from Openings model, and then make cut the openings. I don’t care in keeping original Arch model for further use.

I can then take that Generic Arch model, with openings, and do clash detection with installations in Navis.

What do you think? Have any better idea? My end goal is to produce clash report between installations and for example concrete wall where I didn’t place an opening.

It’s possible but it’s not a simple task. If you don’t need to make changes to the actual Arch file then you could still do all the geometry manipulation in Dynamo and then export a single DirectShape solid to use for coordination.

1 Like