Convert Structure Model to a Void

Hello everyone,

I am facing an issue that I think everyone working with Revit have to deal with this. This is termination between Arch Model and STR model. Because STR model is provided by other consultant in a separate link so I cannot join or cut it with my walls in Arch Model.

I tried to use the node FamilyType.VoidByGeometry to convert to whole STR model into void. But the issue is that the void created is merged, cannot editable later. Additionally, when I load the giant void into the project and tried to cut with my wall. It doesn’t work, warning said “cannot cut this void instance out of its host”. Does anyone have experience dealing with this?

Thank you everyone in advance for helping
screenshot_1688108284

Hi @tranduytankts dont know which revit version you are in…but you could try create these voids with springs family instance by geometry or synthezise create family i think its called…these nodes have the option merge the solids (union solids before input) or do it individual…for cut i would try clockworks cut geometry…but if you try individuel voids i think it will be a little heavy in perfomance

Thanks a lot for your help
Hi, I just tried your way, it’s great that I can create void separately. In the pic, I just tested on two columns.
However, now I have another issue is that I am gonna to have plenty of families for each element. Is there any way that I can merge all these families into one. But still keep the elements separate?
Another problem is that the new geometry created is placed in the origin of the family. So even in case, I copied the geometry manually, it’s impossible to know the location relatively in between these elements
screenshot_1688115357

Not really sure what you mean with

You should only have one family type and one family instance for each element…but lets say you want exemple same type as one family you can union them before feed in the family node

Yes thats the way geometry by family instance node place them in the family environment

1 Like

I am sorry for late reply.
I was trying the way you proposed. It’s good but I am having a lot of family types at you can see on the screenshot. 23 family types for 23 converted elements. I am looking if we can somehow make only one family type because I am gonna convert the whole STR model which contains thousands elements.
If I union all geometries before feed in the node, later on, it’s impossible to change any geometry independently because they are merged. Do you have any solution that I can end up in one family only but still keep all geometries separately (not being merged)

Thank you so much for your support

Hi @tranduytankts dont think thats possible with that method

1 Like

I would not recommend pursuing any part of this workflow until structure is done with all work. You’re making more headaches than any time savings will be worth on any project of scope.

Hi, thank you for your reply, so do you suggest any other solution?
I think this issue happens in every project right? when we have STR consultant providing separate link.
My drawings are very annoying because, STR column, beams and walls clashing
In my project, beam and column should terminate at the blockwork layer of the wall. I don’t know how can I terminate it well.

A few options:

1. Ignore the clashes for now. This is really the best path forward in my perspective, as these are clashes in name only until the structural model is done being updated, and then at that point you go in and split your walls to clean it up.
  2. Copy monitor the structural walls/column into the architectural and use the copied elements to split your existing walls
  3. Delete your walls from the areas where the structural is and model your finishes, which has the benefit of ensuring that finish work is encapsulated correctly. as you’ll have modeled finishes over structural concrete differently than finishes over infill framing.
1 Like

Thank you a lot for your help, I’ll try your proposal. Hope Revit will somehow solve this problem, allowing joining between live elements and linked ones.