How to rebuild multi surface input to single surface?

Hi
I am using dynamo to generate some patterns for alias,
I would like to use this multi surface input from alias and rebuild to single surface by keeping the boundary as it is.

I tried to join as polysurface, its seems not working.
is there any methods to rebuild the surface as single entity ?

1 Like

ByLoft or ByLoftGuides are possible ways.

May I ask why you need a single surface? Just in case it is for being able to apply a specific pattern, we will have a solution soon to distribute patterns over nearly any kind of multi surface structure.

Cheers,
GG

1 Like

Thanks for your reply,
yes, it is for the specific pattern on to surfaces of an automotive interior.
Looking forward to this update.

Meanwhile could you please elaborate on how to execute these nodes (ByLoft or ByLoftGuides) so that I can match the sections and boundary ?

Thank you for your time.

Hi,
Does Surface.PerimeterCurves the job for you?
Cheers,
GG

That delivers all edges, and you could pick the ones needed for your Loft.

By the way, PolySurface should work in this example. Could you share the data example? If, I could have a look.

Hi,

Thanks for your inputs.
I am in a process to develop a generic script which can be used to convert any 4 sided multi surface entity (like my ref model) to a single surface with same boundary and section.

In this case, can we project curves on this multi-surface in U and V axis (controlled by an integer slider) and rebuild the projected COS as a Nurb curve and build a single surface using guide curves, cross-sections ?

Regards

Haha, I was thinking about the exact same approach! Yes, my idea was to first generate the base surface with the 4 outer curves. Then create iso lines on that surface, and then project those lines onto the original surfaces, to then afterwards generate a more precise rebuild with the Loft.
Can’t tell if this would work without trying it. The Curve.PullOntoSurface node would be needed here during the process, I guess.

1 Like

If I’ve grasped your problem, here is a clumsy workaround (I have no explanation for why it works :confused:)

mulSrf.dyn (18.8 KB)
mulSrf.wire (48.6 KB)

3 Likes

That is a cool idea! I think this works because you are implicitly using ASM algorithms to re-approximate. I didn’t think of this!

2 Likes

I have tried to solve the script in the following way to rebuild a multi surface.
Please review and suggest any alternatives.

Regards

Hi,

Could you please supply the script itself? It’s really hard to judge a script by a screenshot, without being able to click on the nodes, makes them visible, see the help, etc.

Thanks,
GG