How to intersect a generic model with a structural foundation pile?

Hello,

I am trying to fin the intersection between a generic model (which is a surface, created with another modelling program and exported through IFC) with a Structural Foundation Pile.
I tried using the node Geometry.Intersect but I get a warning. What is the best approach to do this? My goal is to later obtain the Z coordinate of the intersection between the pile and the surface.
Any help would be appreatiated.

try this
geometry intersect uses geometry, use element.geometry before the intersect node
it might not work with imported geometry tho (haven’t tested it)

1 Like

Thank you @Marcel_Rijsmus
The Generic Model surface imported returns two meshes, I don’t know why, though it should return just one, that must be the reason why I am getting the warning.

maybe you can use get item at index to try one from your list, then the other one

1 Like

I’m not sure, but seems like this node does not allow intersection with mesh geometry

have a look here

and here

1 Like

please keep you questions in this topic so people can find them.
To use the mesh nodes you have to install the package MeshToolkit

1 Like

I tried obtaining the mesh and also to assign it the Topography category. But I don’t understand why the nodes are not accepting this mesh/topography as input when they ask for a mesh/topography.

maybe go back a few steps and try from the element.geometry node (the second node from the start) to use Solid.ByJoinedSurfaces (input is your meshes)

1 Like

Solid.ByJoinedSurfaces wants Surfaces as input, so it does not work with my mesh :frowning:

Hi,

Can you share all files?

1 Like

Hi @Dumus_Cesur
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ai2hypH4bi73jyMqOMAwNEmwmhbM

Hi,

Revit version. I’m using 2018. I think you are using 2019. I’m sorry, but can I summarize the subject to create your script:

• Do you want to open spaces where “IFC” model passes?

Hi @Durmus_Cesur
Sorry, I don’t understand your question. I am trying to find the intersection between a generic model (which is a surface, created with another modelling program and exported through IFC) with a Structural Foundation Pile. My goal is to later obtain the Z coordinate of the intersection between the pile and the surface. After knowing the Z coordinate I want to get the pile to be 2 meters deeper than that Z coordinate.

Ok, change of plans. Intersection does not seem like the best approach. I am going to try to get the insertion point (x,y) of the structural foundation pile. And with those coordinates I will try to obtain the Z coordinate of the surface in that point.

Hi,

Can you please test.

1 Like

The node does not accept this mesh as input

I am now trying a new approach where I find the (x,y) coordinates of the insertion point of the structural foundation pile. I did three attempts based on posts on the forum Z Coordinate from Topo.
I tried with the Solid.projectinputOnto node which is retrieving a lot of random points with the same (x,y) and different Z coordinates :confused:
The Point.Project is retrieving an empty list
And the coding approach does not work.

there seems to be a difference between Mesh Toolkit Mesh and Dynamo mesh
try this approach to convert one into the other
its a longshot however

1 Like

@Marcel_Rijsmus
It’s not converting :confused:

let me call in @Dimitar_Venkov for some help

1 Like

I got it. Here’s how i did it:
I obtained the (x,y) coordinates of the insertion point of the structural foundation pile (I got the centroid coordinates of this solid, but I could have used the Element.GetLocation node). Then I created a line starting at (x,y,0) and ending at (x,y,-40) and obtained the intersection between this line and the polysurface (coverted from a mesh).

2 Likes