How to Dimension on the General Model in Dynamo?

Hello,
I assembled general models using Dynamo. I prepared the sheets. However, I want to dimension my sheets in detail view. I’ve tried what was done on walls before, but it didn’t work. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi, I tried it before, it doesn’t work in general model view.

I am not aware of a general model view, perhaps there is a translation issue?

Can you post what you tired so we can see why it fails?

I made assembly. Then I created the views. Now I want to dimension these views. But using Dynamo.

Genius loci has some nodes for dimensioning. Start there. :slight_smile:

Yes, you are right, but as I said before, they are for normal categories. I want to make an assembly and build it on top of it.

There are nodes for creating dimensions by reference; extract the reference and you should be good to go.

Hi,

Can you share an example?

@sefa make sure you use rev 6 for the brimohareb pakege

1 Like

Thank you, but what I want to do is to do this on the model, not on the drawing.

The dimensions I drew in Family do not appear when I assemble them. Is there a solution to this? @jacob.small

Post a data set including:

• RVT file with one of your assemblies and nothing else
  • image showing what you want to achieve, created in Revit manually on that data set
  • DYN file showing what automation attempt you have tried

Without that I would first have to:

1. Guess what you have as a starting point
  2. Build that guess
  3. Guess what you want to achieve as an end goal
  4. Manually produce that outcome
  5. Map the process to achieve such in Dynamo
  6. Build the automation

All in that’s a half day’s work and if I guess wrong at step 1 or step 3, or build it differently than you in step 2 or 4, I have wasted the half day.

If you can’t post here, use a 3rd party service such as onedrive, Google drive, Dropbox, we transfer, etc.

If you can’t post your work as it’s proprietary, then I can’t post an automation as it is as well.

I am not at my CPU today as it is the weekend, and have a busy week ahead of me so I cannot promise anything. However I will try to have a look on Monday if you get something posted before I start my work day.

2 Likes

Are you trying to say that you want the dimensions inside de family to be on the assembly views?

Yes. Or how can I dimension the assembly using dynamo?

The answers here are good, you need to take references from the elements in the view that you want to add dimensions and define where is the location of the dimension by using lines parallel to the view. Can be very complicated though. You need to get reference planes of the families on a view which are perpendicular to the view, if you want the dimensions in same place maybe you can get the dimensions location inside the families and try to replicate lines in Dynamo to add dimensions in the project assemblies

2 Likes

I lean on logical named reference planes in my GM’s

2 Likes

When I select an assembly with “Select Model Element”, I cannot use “curve”, “location” or anything else, it does not allow it. What exactly do you think I should use?