3d model dimension

There is someone who has tried to create a tool (dynamo) to place dimensions as a 3D model (a model text+some extruded dimmension line) on a 3D view. I believe it would be very useful for presentation purposes, especially when exporting to external rendering engines

@noiconstruim ,

in general you can lock your 3D View(s) and place Dimensions…

2023-07-19_10h17_33

KR

Andreas

I know this. I wrote about a 3d model dimension line, not a regular dimension family on a 3d view.

I am not quite sure I follow. Can you post an example created by hand which performs the way you want?

Somethig like this, with some parameters for thickness, extrusion length, etc.

For that I’d imagine a fairly simple rfa would want to be built manually. Line based to control the length of the curve, and the depth of the extrusion being controlled by the same parameter that gives the line it’s thickness. Arrows sized as a function of the same parameter, and the text offset equal to the thickness/depth parameter, height a function of the parameter, and text value a parameter value (perhaps tied to length? not sure that’s possible though).

Once that’s done Dynamo would be well situated to place the family instances in the model by getting lines from the geometry via analytical means (ie: the length and width of a room). However would not recommend using Dynamo to build a bunch of these as generic models or other geometry components. That’s asking for model bloat to the extreme.

Thanks a lot for your opinion. I start to think the same., keep it simple

1 Like

Done. This is the family. It deserve more finishing but is functional. Unfortunately I can’t upload *.rfa file

Try to rename the file to ‘name.rfa.txt’ and it should post fine. If not you can utilize a 3rd part service such as dropbox, google drive, box, onedrive, wetransfer, etc.

@noiconstruim ,

BUT, you can upload a .rvt file :wink:

I can’t upload anything but pics, but this is the link: Autodesk Drive

1 Like