How to create a Ifc Export when you haver several views in one project?

Hello,

I want to write ifcs over night, i have 7 Views each of them is MEP-Discipline: cooling, Air, electric, sprinkler, … can i set my script that when first export is finished go to the next ?

KR

Andreas

Why not build a list of views and a list of names?

@jacob.small ,

the project is to big… I can`t export all elements at once!

so i want to export multible views (Pipes, Plumping, Heating,…) the final IFC have 400 MB, 300 MB, …

Because i dont want severial Revit to export at the same time.

KR

Andreas

The Revit exporter can only perform one export at a time, and is also multi-threaded if memory serves, so you can’t use parallelization with it. So my gut says the first export should finish, then when completed the second would start, then the 3rd, etc…

Are you seeing otherwise?

@jacob.small ,

thats it… but i have to do it manualy… ? one export needs around 1h …

in the case of architecture i run the export overnight, already…

KR

Andreas

I think Jacob’s point is it should get through them all in order, depending how that node is written to function - probably looping through each one.

There isn’t really a way to do it any faster than what you’re doing I think. We have same issues where I work, Revit is just quite slow at producing IFC - especially if complex geometries are involved such as LOD400± (which I’m generally convinced is a huge waste of time for the industry).

A developer I know at a firm built an addin to do it with a nicer UI and estimation bar based on element count/model size etc. and actual time elapsed, but it’s all guesswork really - Revit doesn’t give any assistance there so it’s based on historic exports and models/metrics.

@GavinCrump ,

Can i feed this node with Views, i mean a list views, and than it is doing the job or, have i to change each view after export - manually?

KR

Andreas

1 Like

From the design side there is ZERO value in LOD 400 geometry. Stop at 350 and you’re at the limit - anything beyond that needs to come from the construction team in the field as they’re the ones installing the real stuff.

1 Like

I believe so, and Gavin indicated so as well. Build a small test file with two views, one with one wall and one with two other walls, and try exporting those to IFC. Verify the results, and if it works you’re all set to use it on your big model.

The other option to look into (assuming you are already on the cloud) would be an ACC app to export to IFC using cloud resources. Likely that’s the fastest option. But as Gavin noted there isn’t an accurate way to get the time - everything is a best guess effort as IFC utilizes a different geometry engine and therefore everything needs to be converted; some conversions are linear time as the content can be directly derived. Others are not as moving the data for IFC format requires Revit to first tessellate into triangles before converting, which isn’t a simple algorithm. Reducing geometry detail level is always advisable.

An .stl batch exporter for views would also be help full to get fabrication level 3dprint ready models. try the mulitple view list view name aproach.

@Wuillian_Medrano ,

you mean a plugin or do you mean as a costumnode?

our modell is on BIM360, is it possible to generate Ifcs automaticly?

I can imagene that i use Group transaction ?

KR

Andreas

i actually asked this in a thread and got it working, should have a similar ouptut for our IFC.
Batch 3d view to STL - Revit - Dynamo (dynamobim.com). dynamo runs on cloud models now i think.

Yes - you can build a forge app for this.

@jacob.small

i am fully aware of that, but the client has a “Fake BIM Consultant” they want create money-cut based on quality-standards that outside of the project and construction-needs…

I tried to explan that they just smile …

KR

Andreas

@jacob.small @Wuillian_Medrano @GavinCrump

i got a magic solution ProSheets

thats exactly what i need BulkViews Export!

KR

Andreas

1 Like

So an add-in which does the same thing as the node, and also requires deployment and manually triggering… not sure how this is any different than what you had, but glad you are all set.

@jacob.small ,

the diverence is Views - not view…

@jacob.small ,

it is doing the job as well

OK, so i can modify it…

KR

Andreas

3 Likes