How to Convert model in placed families to Revit families

Hello,

I am trying to create a script that will automatically convert the model in placed families into revit families by just selection.

Currently what are we doing is we create a model in placed families based on scan drawings.
Scenario:
AHU family model in place then we group it to be able to save it to revit family .RFA then reload the save family back to project. Is there a way to shorten the process?

Many Thanks,

Group Site gas switch.rfa (268 KB)

Model in place family:

Converted Model in palce to revit family:

One way to do that would be:
Select model element > element.geometry> Family Type ByGeometry or (Spring Nodes) Family Instance ByGeometry.

That way you would convert the geometry you created in place to a family. But it’s going to be just the geometry, any parametric dependencies would be gone.

2 Likes

Victor is right.

You could also try creating them as families to start with.

Another Awesome node… Springs.Form.ByGeometry works inside a family document.

Hope that’s of interest,

Mark

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I will try this today and post it here.

Hello,

I was able to convert if the model in plac family is in 1 solid but for 2 or more solids it will not covert into family. How do I combine the two soilds into 1 solid?

Answer: just join the geometry in the model in Place.

2 Likes

You could use the Solid.ByUnion node to combine the geometry inside Dynamo before pushing it to Springs.FamilyInstance.ByGeometry.

3 Likes

so by 2022 clockwork came up with new packages and basically we should be able to select the solid right. so we need a node that differentiates revit geomtry from dynamo geometry.
And then use the K-Family insert from sythesiser toolkit to convert it into any family u want.