In-Place all Families export to a file location (for import after cleanup)

OK I am at a stop I am trying to collect all the in-place families and export them to a folder on the network. I know others have done this, but I am having issues. (I am probably attacking this from the wrong angle. Any help would be appreciated.

Or is there a way to just convert them without export in place with the In Place family name.

So far, I have it collect all the families and gather all the geometry of the families. Now I am at a loss lol.

Attached is the dynamo script

In Place Family2.dyn (21.4 KB)

Hi @jarod.tulanowski

Do you specifically need them exported as RFA format and not just RVT?

Because if you just need to store the geometry separately then you can Group each In-Place Family instance and use the built-in SaveAs - Library - Groups to export to separate RVT files. Or alternatively Group all the geometry and then export them all to one file.

Yea I know how to do it one at a time, but i Get tired of explaining it to others how to do it. I just want to make it a one stop shop kind of thing. SO when they ask I just say hit the button lol

been reading this and downloaded the sample but still at a road block
[FamilyInstance.ByGeometry – Dynamo Nodes](FamilyInstance.ByGeometry – Dynamo Nodes)

1 Like

I know the ol’ give-me-a-button request :sweat_smile:

Getting the families to be created by the geometry can be the tricky part, depending on Revit / Dynamo versioning as there are some known node errors.

Saving out multiple families to a directory is pretty straightforward and has been documented on the forum previously.

Here is a worked example. :wink:

Convert InPlace Families to Family Instances Workflow Example.dyn (29.2 KB)

1 Like

Instead of focusing on how to fix what you have identified as a reoccurring problem, why aren’t you addressing the root cause and teaching users to not author anything this way, never mind doing so at scale.

OK you replied like you know how everyone works with Revit. The reason there is In-Place families is because we use point clouds to do surveys. and most of the millwork, specialty items, etc… that exists in the space needs to be rebuilt. So, they can be modified or be seen in the space. It is Way easier to do it using the in-place model than making a family. So, after it is completed (Design Development) then we go into the CD phase I would like them to be families not In place at that point.

Not trying to sound harsh Just trying to get to a solution to my original question. Not just get told how I should be doing it to avoid my original question.

As an alternative, you could with less effort;
-Download pyRevit
-Get the Extenstion “pyChilizer”
A Github for the Author is located here;

The Github link also includes instructions on how to install the extension.

In the families portion there is a pushbutton for inplace to loadable families.
Worth a try, i don’t use it myself but i know that is exists

3 Likes

I use pyrevit for my dynamo scripts didn’t know this was an option lol. The tool works perfect I don’t need all of the other ones that come with it. Wish I knew how they made it.

It does everything I need creates a Generic family over the other one (doesnt delete it just incase) Names it what the In Place family is.

I am going to keep plugging to try and replicate the InPlace to Loadable. Thanks for getting me going again I was about to give up.

This doesnt seem to work for me? I mean it just errors out

Holding Alt+ Clicking on the pushbutton will bring you to the file directory where the Python contained within the tool so you can interrogate further how the tool functions and make any changes you need for your own use case.

1 Like

WOW didnt know that trick but now my eyes bleed with code lol. Thanks for the help

A code digging I will go lol

Gotcha. Point clouds as a source is definitely a complicating factor. There are however a lot of solutions out there to simplify that process (DiRoots has a good solution if I recall) which can certainly help in the process. Not the overall point of the forum sure, but it could inspire build a tool to push the necessary data so you can model things directly in a family document.