3D dwg to Revit

Hi folks,

I’m just learning Dynamo and trying to create a script to convert a 3D dwg to a Revit entity for creating families. i work int he AV industry and many of the products I specify do not publish BIM models of their products, but most will have 3D dwg/dxf files available.

I’ve been able to generate a model in Dynamo, but just can’t seem to figure out how to get it out to Revit. Been searching this forum and Google, but can’t seem to “Connect the dots”.

Hope you’ll endulge a newbie here, but could someone point me in the right direction? Here’s a screen cap of what I have so far:

Look into the ‘FamilyInstance.ByGeometry’ node in the Spring Nodes package as a start. :slight_smile:

Or try looking at nodes with Directshape in the title :wink:

Thanks Guys! I ended up using the ‘FamilyInstance.ByGeometry’ node and it worked! Curiously, it doesn’t draw the familly in the workspace, so I spent an hour trying to troubleshoot before I stumbled on the family in the active project inserted on top of the linked CAD. If I could ask one more question, what would I need to add to get it to show up in the Dynamo workspace for verification?

Update: I figured out why I didn’t see it in Dynamo Workspace. It is placed in Workspace at the origin it is placed in the model, so it was hundreds of feet away from 0,0,0. Figured it out when I did a Zoom Extents. Now I know.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Hi

Can you tell me where to find the Select Solids in Dynamo? Do I need to download a package for this? Or could you possibly provide the script?

Hi Daniel,

I haven’t worked in Dynamo for a long time, so don’t think I can help you.

image001.jpg

Oh, that’s pity. You don’t have the script you wrote either? It would help me a lot

Hi @daniel.straumannMWC4,

List Selector

1 Like

Vielen Dank, es scheint zu funktionieren.

Hi Daniel. Sorry for the stupid question, but I dont understand the workflow. I am interested in importing a 3d dwg file into Revit as generic model and your script seems to be what I need.
I dont understand the initial part where you select the model element. Which element are you selecting?

Hallo Marco, ich habe mich schon seit längerer Zeit nicht mehr mit dem Thema befasst, wahrscheinlich musst du in Revit das DWG auswählen. Ich persönlich nutzte dieses Script nicht mehr. Ich nutzte GIS-Websiten und lade mir georeferenzierte Daten runter. Besuch mal nachfolgende Seite:

Revit Plug-in for Generating ANY Site on Earth - Revit Plug-in Tutorial - YouTube[59]