Get column/beam geometry with subtracted holes

Hi there,
I’m trying to get the geometry of a column or a beam in which I put some holes, modifiers and structural connections and I would like to retrieve the cut solid with such elements subtracted.
I tried some approach with SteamNodes toolgetSurroundingElements node in conjunction with tool.addVoidCut node but without success.
Can you please give me support on this?
I attach an image of my Revit file and of the Dynamo graph so far.
Thank you in advance.

Hey,

Thanks for this, it would be helpful to share a Revit file and your DYN to get us going :slight_smile:

I’m a little confused as to why you can’t just extract the geometry of the column? Haven’t you already cut the voids from it in the project?

If they aren’t already cut, you could run an intersect check? Then get the geometry from both and use a boolean subtract?

Hope that helps,

Mark

Hi @Mark.Ackerley and thanks for your reply.
I attach both the revit and the dyn file for your review.

CutVoids.dyn (32.4 KB)
ColumnWithCuts.rvt (1.8 MB)

As you can see the holes and cuts are visible in 3D view but if I select the column in Dynamo via Select Model Element and then I retrieve the geometry with Element.Geometry node the column is without holes.
I tried the approach I explained in my first post to get the 3d geometry with cuts but without success.

Just for your info my final goal is to get the views of the column with cuts in drafting views as a shop drawing.

Thanks again for your support.

Paolo

Hi there,
anyone can give me support on this please?
I tried but I still can’t get in dynamo the cut geometry of the structural element.
Any hint?
Thanks in advance
Paolo

Hello …probably something here could work for you…