Geometry using wrong units since update to 2.12

Hello everyone,

as I was updating my graphs from Dynamo 2.6 to 2.12 for the switchover to Revit 2022, I noticed something strange with my graphs concerning geometry nodes. And I’m unsure if its a bug or an intended change.

I use a graph in which geometries (spheres) are created, cut and then inserted into Revit as ImportInstances.

Graph:

The problem now is that in Revit 2022 (Dynamo 2.12) the created objects have a different size and position in the model, although I used exactly the same inputs as in 2021 and the same Revit model (Updated directly from Revit 2021 to 2022).

While testing, I noticed that by manually changing the units/scaling of the imported elements (in the type properties) from feet to decimeters, I was able to achieve the correct size.
So I suspect that Dynamo automatically uses a different unit than Revit in 2022, probably feet.
Apparently the error occurs when creating and editing geometries. I suspect nodes like “PolySurface.BySolid” and “Geometry.Split” cause it.

I always work with the metric system and also the project units in Revit are completely set to metric.
And in the older Revit/Dynamo versions there were never such problems.

Is it possible to change the units of Dynamo or what the nodes are using?
Or is this hardcoded in the nodes?

I already tried the “Convert between units” node for the radius, using decimeter to feet, which solves the size problem, but the position of the elements in the model is still messed up.

I hope someone can help me.

@dominikleuchter did you try to convert the units of the centerPoint input as well?

Well those are points. How to convert those.
I would have to scale the whole coordinatesystem of revit or dynamo or whatever for this to work.

But I think there has to be another solution. Converting every value in the graph seems to be a very bad idea to me.

@dominikleuchter I meant the center point coordinates, my bad :slight_smile: , the thing is there is a units modification in the Revit API starting Revit 2022, maybe it is affecting the zero touch node of Sphere.ByCenterPointRadius, if converting the coordinates value fix it for you, I think it would be the easiest solution

That’s the point. It doesn’t fix it for me, because I don’t know how to convert the coordiates. :sweat_smile:

there is a units modification in the Revit API starting Revit 2022

Yeah, that’s it. That seems to be the problem!

So how can I change the units of the whole Dynamo graph to metric, so that it works like in Revit 2021 again.

I think this is a known issue:

@jacob.small do you know if there is a knowledge document on this?

1 Like

This should show the work-around I recommend.

That said, @dominikleuchter please submit a support case via the accounts portal (same as you would for any other Revit issue) so that we can get a Revit bug created (the root cause is on the Revit side not the Dynamo one).

Sorry for the late reply.

Yeah you are right. The problem seems to be the import to revit aka “ImportInstance.ByGeometry” node. The dynamo stuff beforehand seems to work just fine.

Will try your workaroud and see if this solves the unit problem.

I hope this gets fixed in the future.

It’s very sad, that we still haven’t got rid of imperial and switch worldwide to metric. Would prevent those problems and many others.

Finally got it to work using the “Dynamo Geometry To Revit Compatibility” from the Synthesize package as a workaround.

I also tested the graph in Revit 2023, where the OOTB node seems to be fixed and working as expected again.

2 Likes