Element.Solids in Revit 2021 vs Revit 2022 has different results

Hi Everybody,

I was trying to run this dynamo script on Revit 2021 and 2022. However, I got two different results. I was wondering if I am missing something.

Creating Room.dyn (31.0 KB)

Here is the result for Revit 2021:

I just select couple of the solid elements in the screencap below: (they are completely correct. they have the same size that the rooms have.

when I did the same thing for Revit 2022:

the corridor and room sizes are almost tree times bigger than its actual size in each direction.

I have already checked Project units for Revit 2021 and Revit 2022. They are 100% same.

Please let me know if you know how to fix this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Before creating the solids with the graph, scale the geometry down by the number of feet in a meter.

Did units change in Revit 2022 Dynamo? Is there a setting, somewhere?

These are all ootb bodes by the look of it - didn’t they get updated to catch the forgeunit change?

Hi @jacob.small,

Thank you for your reply. However, this begs the question, whether I need to modify the dynamo script for each and every Revit version accordingly for the future release or not.
My understanding is that once you have the dynamo script, it will run for each Revit version unless otherwise something deprecated. Please correct me if I am wrong to think this way or is there a better practice to handle that kind of issues.
Thank you again and very appreciated!

Hi @GavinCrump & @jacob.small,

Your comment got me thinking and did some research. Seems like Autodesk decided to unify the unit conversion throughout the applications. However, @Konrad_K_Sobon had a great inside for people to see what is going on with the units.

Here is the link if anybody interested:

Does Dynamo have a node already similar to @Konrad_K_Sobon package

or do I need to install “archilab v.2022.210.1322”?

Thank you again,

2 Likes

Yes many package managers (e.g. Genius Loci) have built code into their nodes to take one of two pathways by checking the Revit build. I’d be surprised if the nodes in 2022 weren’t working behind the scenes like that in the nodes that come with Dynamo already though…

2 Likes

The 2022 nodes should be accommodating the units changes; I believe this is actually an issue with the importer, but can’t recall as it’s been awhile since it was last flagged.

@Cezmi can you confirm which version of Revit 2022 and Dynamo for Revit you are currently in? If less than 2022.1.2 you’ll likely need to upgrade (good idea anyway due to the security advisories last month), this should give you Dynamo for Revit 2.12. If the issue persists there I’ll take a look on the back end to see what/where/how this can be addressed as a temp work around for now.

Generally speaking I recommend having a core library of nodes developed in your oldest (up to three versions back but I would cap it at two versions if I were made emperor of all things BIM - prey that day never comes). This should be saved as to a location for the next year and tested, making any changes necessary. That ‘upgrade, test, address’ process is repeated until you get to the current version.

The same should hold for your packages.

While the teams do the best they can to ensure multi-year support, nothing is perfect, and sometimes changes have to be made in field. Fortunately all testing can be automated via Revit journal playback (part of the reason journals were built into Revit the first place); build one file which works on all your graph library, play back a Revit journal where you ram the graphs in sequence, and confirm the resulting data returns correctly, reporting back a ‘failed’ or ‘passed’ as for each DYN. Now you know what/where to review.

Not great news to hear, and it is certainly some work involved, but worth it if your office is working at that scale.

2 Likes

HI @jacob.small,

First of all, I really am appreciated and thank you for taking your time to explain all the important information that I didn’t even aware of. From now on, I will keep my files per your recommendations in your email. (up to three versions back)

I have updated my revit software as you said to 2022.1.2. See snipped image below:

also It gives me Dynamo 2.12 (Just like you said)

However, the issue still persists and I don’t know how to fix it. :frowning: (I wish I knew it)

I agreed %100 that nothing is perfect. The only goal here is to help everyone (including myself) who has encountered this kind of issues or about to…I found this forum very helpful and I become severely addictive in a very positive way.
If you could take a look into this issue and let me know how to fix it. I would be more than happy
Thank you very much!

This is a bug in the ImportInstance.ByGeometry node. cc @solamour Dynamo 2.12, R2022.

3 Likes

yes @Thomas_Mahon …think he know…we had talk about for long time now…seems they forgot the new units in that upgrade…but for now i use synthesize…i works for 2022…not sure its the same in 2022.1

1 Like

I believe that Synthesize Toolkit should work. It has also been flagged with the Revit team; I will check on progress later today.

3 Likes