Generative Design - problem with selecting the model element

Hello,

I would like to launch a study in generative design. I have a problem with selecting the model element in Revit. The button is disabled.
I need to select a surface in Revit. In Dynamo I set up the Select Model Element node as input.

Have you any idea how I could select the surface in the GD study?

Many thanks!

BR,

Julia

You’ll need to launch Generative Design from the Manage tab in Revit, not the menu in Dynamo.

Hello Jacob,

I am using Revit 2020. As far as I understood, GD for Revit is from version 2021.
Is there any alternative to solve my issue?

Thanks!

Julia

There is an old add-in, but it’s likely best to upgrade to a modern build. From the looks of it you’re doing conceptual work, and 2020 will no longer be supported in 6 or 7 months, so this project will likely extend beyond the supported life of the tool. Upgrading now when there is less data will make the future required upgrade much easier.

If that isn’t an option, you’ll have to select the room in the Dynamo UI, save the graph (or do a save as), and select the newly saved study to run; at that point the select model element isn’t a variable input anymore.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your support as always!

1 Like

Hi Jacob,

I have to bother you again, unfortunately.
I upgraded Revit, as you suggested, to Revit 2022. Now I have no problem with selecting the element from Revit. It was selected automatically.

However, I have another problem and I am stuck on generating randomization with GD.

As the output, I get * No Value.

I am using DynaShape to randomize bubbles. As inputs, I have a Revit element (Room) and a number of seeds. As the outputs, I have Space Adjacency Error and Space Adjacency Error Ratio. Changing the number of seeds I always get a value in outputs, so it is strange that it is not considered in the GD study. Also, bubbles are not displayed in the study, only the seed’s point.

Maybe you have some idea what I am doing wrong?

In my script, I use some packages like Clockwork to display colours and text on bubbles. They are using old Python2. Could it impact somehow the study?

Best regards,

Julia

Likely best to start a new topic as that’s a new issue. Some things to check:

1. Does the graph run in Dynamo Sandbox? If not you’ll quickly see what the issue is can can likely address it in the Dynamo for Revit environment.
  2. Does the dependencies folder have all the nodes utilized? If not you may need to do a save as to get things to re-populate. This might include the IronPython package (I can’t recall if 2.12 had that included by default or not).

Hi Jacob,

I created a new topic there: Generative Design Error: Output No Value - #2 by Julia_Ratajczak with my answers.

BR,

Julia