[Feedback Needed] Dynamo 2.0 Installation Change

WHY:
With Dynamo major version 1, we continued the pre 1.0 habit of creating install folders with minor release numbers (1.1, 1.2, 1.x). This has created confusion and redundancy, as we don’t allow side by side installation of minor versions. We need to have a folder structure that reflects this constraint.

WHAT:
Starting from daily build DynamoRevit2.0.0.20180115T2045.exe which is available now on dynamobuilds.com, we added the change that

• DynamoCore and DynamoRevit will be installed in the folder named using DynamoCore major version instead of major version point minor version.

• Installing the new Dynamo 2.x build should not affect your existing Dynamo 1.x installed.

• Installing a new Dynamo 2.x build with a larger minor version will overwrite the content in major version folder

More specifically, previous Dynamo 2.0 daily builds installations are installed to C:\Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2.0 and C:\Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Core\2.0. While the new location will simply be to C:\Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2 and C:\Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Core\2. Installing Dynamo 2.1 will overwrite the content in this folder.

Please let the Dynamo team know what you think this change could affect your work with Dynamo in the future.

3 Likes

This sounds like a good Quality of life change, but will this also be replicated in the user folder areas for where packages/settings are saved?

Future thought:
If say 2.1 is the last version that supports revit 2017 and you install 2.2 will this overwrite the 2.1 version and therefore cannot use dynamo 2 or above in the previous revit version?

1 Like

I would say so
“Installing a new Dynamo 2.x build with a larger minor version will overwrite the content in major version folder”

i like it, the view and sorting of the nodes is so easily and more understandable than before, my old scripts also run smoothly.
also i like that i can choose what to run when i click on dynamo icon, good work guys, i will let you know for any notes i may face.

regards

Thank you for the concern! Dynamo team had discussed about this internally.

As a result, the user data folder will not be affected, so packages user installed will stay in a Major.minor folder under AppData folder and not being overwritten. The change only affect files in program files folder.

In terms of Revit version obsoletion, since Revit team taking DynamoRevit project over, will have to refer to them. But I will let them know this may be a problem in the future.

Great, more changes are on the way