FamilyInstance.ByGeometry_make family from Dynamo geometry

Hello everyone,

I trust you are all doing well. I am currently working on converting a .SAT file into a Dynamo family for use in Revit. Despite attempting the conversion script in various Revit versions—namely, 2021, 2023, and 2024—I have been unable to successfully create the desired family.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or solutions you may have regarding this issue. What could be causing the difficulty in creating the family?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards

Bad SAT file contents or the graph is built wrong. Can’t tell without the files you are using though.

I uploaded the .SAt file

You can use a 3rd party tool such as onedrive Google drive, Dropbox, box, we transfer, etc. :slight_smile:

Thanks I uploaded the SAT file in DropBox

The SAT helps - what have you tried with Dynamo so far? have you gotten the geometry into Dynamo? Created a family in Revit but not made an instance? Screenshots of the graph are fine.

If getting the geometry into Dynamo is where you are stuck, look into the Geometry.ImportFromSATWithUnits node, which takes a file path and a units input (leave it blank to import it unitless), and then a Solid.ByUnion node if your SAT has many solids in it.

I got all geometry in Dynamo which is 19 Solids but when I try to make a family with the: FamilyInstance.ByGeometry from Spring node package. It fails ang give me error.

I use just one solid from the list for instance: a[0]. when I try to make a family from a[0]. Dynamo make zero family or an empty list.

With the: ImportInstance.ByGeometry I can create all familyinstance in Revit but I want it with FamilyInstanec.ByGeometry.

Try FamilyType.ByGeometry, which is an out of the box node so no need for Springs. The result should be a family type, which can be used to generate a new family instance using a FamilyInstance.ByPoint node. For now provide the instance with any point, you’ll want to use the minimum point of the bounding box for each family once you’ve got the rest working.

Thank you very much. I had a misconception about the Templatepath. This node requires a separete template file with a .rfa extension to create a family successfully.

1 Like