Export SAT from Family

Hi All,

maybe you have some ideas …
I am currently facing the problem of creating a Dynamo script with the goal of batch exporting SAT files from a number of revit families in a given folder.

Therefore I need to solve the following problems:

• For the SAT Export Node I need Geometries. How can I transform a Family document to read as a single geometry in Dynamo?
  • The Family documents do not only contain geometry but also imported dwg and ipt files.
    I tried by placing the family in a project (as a seceondory option) and exporting it via Dynamo as SAT (here the element is recognized and then transormed via Element.Geometry and then Solid.ByUnion - but then the imported dwg and ipt files are not recognized.

When I manually export the SAT in Revit by opening the Family directly and clicking export as SAT - the imported files are recognized.

Maybe someone has already faced a similar problem.
Thank you!!

@j.parizek

check out this

KR
Andreas

This sounds like an interesting workflow. What is the reasoning?

I don’t know of any nodes for this, and generally speaking processing multiple files via nodes is a bad idea as you need to pass documents repeatedly, which is quite unstable due to the memory consumption. Certainly doable via Python. One major limitation I can see is exporting the imports, as I do not know if Revit’s SAT exporter consumes links as well.

Thanks for your reply!

The reason behind the workflow is that I need STEP files but I only gotten .rfa files. From my knowledge I need the SAT File to further transform the files. (And the number of files is over 50 - so a Dynamo script would definitely help with the workflow)

Yeah I think so too… Unfortunately the SAT Exporter Node from Dynamo does not consume the imports, whereas the Revit SAT exporter directly is able to consume them.

So if you had a “export view as SAT” you could create a 3D view of each family via Dynamo, and have Revit export each?

Yeah exactly

What Revit version?

Currently I use Revit 2024, but it would be possible starting from Revit 2022

This should cover 2022 to 2024.

Sat Export Family Instances.dyn (29.4 KB)

3 Likes

WOW Thank you!! It works perfectly!

1 Like