Family instance mark

I have a panel family and I should assign a numeric value to each instance in the mark parameter.The numbers I use are shuffled from 1-9999. Each instance or panels differs in length, height and thickness. The problem arises when I need to group instances according to these parameters because the idea is that when it comes to multiple panels with the same length, height and thickness, they must have the same value for the mark parameter. every other case is a number unto itself.

Can anyone help me with some suggestion?
Thanks

so:

list all family instance of a specific family as lists and assign Mark (instance) accordingly?

In my case it is the category of curtain panels, but yes, I want them to be marked according to the conditions I have stated, because I want each instance to have its own Mark value, except when there are multiple of the same to be grouped into one value

Assuming that your dimensions (length, height, and thickness) are instance parameters as well, you’ll have to use GroupByKey. A quick and easy solution is to get each dimensional value and concatenate them all together to create a unique identifier. Then use group by key to group all instances and set the Mark value.

2 Likes

In your post you are mentioning;
“…when it comes to multiple panels with the same length, height and thickness, they must have the same value for the mark parameter…”

This is pointing towards creating different type of these panels and assigning Type Mark value, and not Mark Value. If at all you do so, as you may already know, Revit would complain of having duplicate mark values.

So, what I would suggest is to be unique with your Mark Values. let Dynamo do that task. But in your schedule, if you wish to group by Length Breadth and Height, group them based on Type Mark.

1 Like

I would set the mark to be a concatinated value, similar to the grouping instance. Something like Group#-Panel#.
The five panels that are 2x4x1 would be 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4, 1-5.
The two panels which are 1x1x2 would be 2-1, 2-1. Etc.

1 Like

This is my graph and it works perfectly. I had a lot of inputs and it looks pretty complex. It could probably be optimized but for me is the most important thing that it works :slight_smile:

Thank you all for help :slight_smile: