Extracting a separate wall from a complex geometry wall

Hello,

I have a wall with a complex geomtry and i’m trying to extract insulation from this wall.
Can anyone help me ?

Best regards,

Hello Nabil,

Welcome to the community. To be able to get answer quickly for your problems, please check out our guidelines.

By insulation, do you mean you are trying to calculate insulation area on the wall or totally remove it from the wall? Is it possible for you to share what you have tried until now?

My wall is a complex wall with two layers. One layer of concrete and one layer of insulation. I am trying to keep or copy the layer of insulation without modifiying it and delete the concrete layer.
Is this better ?

I understand. Thank you very much for further explanation. I suggest you to check this node from Genius Loci package:

You need to collect your walls and put them as an input and you need to find the index number of your layer that you want to delete. Here is an example:

Both node is from Genius Loci package. Please let me know if it works for you.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer but i still have a problem. The value is null in my watch node.

Hi,

The code of the custom nodes was written using the Python 2.7 engine.
So the DynamoIronPython2.7 package version 2.5 must also be installed for the custom node to run, as explained in the package description.

Thank you, i installed it, closed Revit and Re-opened it but i still have null in my watch nodes.

Verify that the DynamoIronPython2.7 package version 2.5 is correctly installed.

What kind of element did you pick with the Select Model Element node ?

I installed the DynamoIronPython2.7 package version 3.2.0.
Do i have to install the 2.5.0 version ?
Please find attached a picture of the wall.
Complexe geometry wall

The DynamoIronPython2.7 package version 3.2.0 is for Dynamo 3.x.

Yes.

Thank you very much the dynamo is now working (one layer was deleted) but the problem is that the remaining layer didn’t stay in the same place. It changed its place to take the other layer’s place.
Do You have a solution to copy the layer without changing its place or to delete the other layer without taking its place ? Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

It’s a Revit thing. Try it manually and you will see that the insulation becomes the main layer.

If you just want access to the geometry and information contained in the insulation layer try using the ‘create parts’ and see if you get a selectable area of insulation. This can be done in the UI for now (look to automate it after you identify the manual path).

Hello,
If i understand, it’s not possible to copy a layer or to remove a layer without affecting its position ?
Thank you for your answear,

Hello,
Thank you for your answer, i am not interested about its geometry and information.
I’m looking to keep only one layer of a complex geomtric wall without affecting its position.
Best regards,

hi not sure at all, is it an airlayer you want

I’m looking for an insulation layer (it can also be a structural layer)

How would you do this manually?

Can you post a small model (4 walls) where one of them is a copy of another with the desired result?

allright dont think i understand then

Hi,

Try it manually, see what happens and reproduce the steps with Dynamo :
Delete all layers except the insulation, the core layer changes and maybe the wall location also changes, move the wall to its original location.

1 Like