Export Dynamo Geometry to Revit

Hi All

Thanks for the help I’ve recieved on here so far.
Learned quite a a lot in the past few days.
I’m trying to export a series of beams I’ve generated using selected surfaces from Revit by applying the Springs.FamilyInstance.ByGeometry node. It doesn’t seem to work even when I export the geometry to a SAT file too. I’ve looked through other solutions on here but none seem to work.
Can someone please assist.
Please see images and DYN file attached.
Thank in advance.

Lower Canopy Structure Sweeps 2.dyn (54.5 KB)

Make level of geometry @L1 or Lacing longest.

Thanks for the reply. I’ve tried that and it still doesn’t work.
Could it be because the geometry is too complex?
I’ve exported much simply surfaces without a problem before.
Is there a work around I should look into?

Hi @bayowindapo,

If you feed a list of solids, you also have to create a list of (different) familyNames ( you only have one familyName now).

2 Likes

Ahh thank. I’ll look into that. So it can’t just export the whole thing as one family?

try setting the FamilyInstance node to longest lacing

Thanks I’ll look into that.

Hi there. Thanks for this suggestion. I’m trying to do this but I can’t seem to find an example of how this is done. Can you please assist? Thanks a lot.

Tried that. Doesn’t work.

If editing the resulted geometry in Revit is not of importance to you, then simply use “DirectShape.ByGeometry” . It can also be faster than the spring node. However you still need to enter a number of unique names equal to the number of items entered as Geometry. Just take the count of the solids list (count node) and create a list of names (strings) with the same length.

1 Like

I’ve tried that without any luck. Families are still not being exported.

I’ll try this thanks.

Thanks for this. It’s the only option that’s worked.
The tesselation doesn’t look great for drawings though so I would need the springs node to work.
Perhaps the springs node can’t handle the complex curves.

1 Like

Can you show the preview of the “List.Map” node?
I have the feeling this is a nested list. Would it be a problem to flatten this list.

Here it is. Flattening the list won’t be a problem at all.

Then I would try to completely flatten the list of solids (75 solids ?). Next step would be to create a flat list with 75 family names.

Yes you’re correct. 75 solids. I did the below but it still doesn’t work. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong. Apologies I’m still a newbie.

Please also connect the “List.Flatten” node to the “List.Count” node.

It’s always been connected.

Sorry i am not near to my Dynamo computer at the moment, so i can’t give you an example right now.