Element keeps linked via Dynamo...how?

Hi all,

I’m a bit confused. I created a footing using an element that’s in the project. And I’ve made a duplicate from this element and changed the parameters (length, width and height).
When I select the footing in Revit and move it from it to a different location…run the script again but with other dimentions… the footing I moved is gone and in the original location stands the footing with the new dimensions.
That last piece I get…but why is the moved footing being deleted?
Even when I save the project, restart my laptop en run the script again…the moved footing is gone!!
Is there something I’m forgetting in my script?

Also…how can I combine the “to be set parameters” en the “value’s” from the “Element.SetParameterByName” so I can use one set of nodes instead of the 3 sets I have now?
I tryed {“parameter1”, “parameter2”}; and {“value1”, “value2”}; but then only the first parameter is being changed, not all of them.

HUH???
All the time it goes wrong! I even restarted my laptop. And it still goes wrong.
I put it in the directory for the Player…still it goes wrong.
I moved the footing with piles…renamed it…changed paremeters of the footing in Revit and tryed again…still it goes wrong.
And while I’m doing the same thing (moving and renaming and creating a new one while the moved one is getting deleted) a few times in a row…all of a sudden…THE SCRIPT WORKS like I want it to!
:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

Did I create a self-learning script???
I mean…Crap … I’m still amazed about the fact that it suddenly started working after about eight failures and ZERO changes!

Can this be explained?? (not the fact that I’m amzed but the sudden working of the script!:yum:)

@Mike_Wellink Don’t use “Dirty Words”. This kind of words are not allowed in our community.

1 Like

Sorry…didn’t want to hurt anybody’s feelings.
I’ve changed them already! :innocent:

When you use Dynamo to generate some form of geometry, saving the Dynamo file will store a link between your Dynamo script and the element it created. That way if you change the size, for example, it will update the geometry previously created instead of giving you a duplicate element. I recommend either not saving your Dynamo script after you run it to create the footing, or tweak your script to generate the footings at each location in your project.

What I normally do is I open another Revit project, an empty one most of the times, run the script on that, save the script. Then open the original Revit project and try running the script again. This way Dynamo forgets what it had done before in the original Revit project.

Thanks for the tips! :+1:

I do have a suspicion that the Dynamo Player also open and closes a script without saving it and thus I can create multiple footings without changing the last one I’ve created.
Can anybody confirm or trush my suspicion please?

its a correct one. Dynamo Player never saves a Dynamo definition so no Bindings are created.

1 Like