Elbow Fitting to Tee

Hi Forum!

I’ve found some older posts about there being some limitations around tee fittings and / or adding connectors to an elbow to make it a tee. Are there any updates here or still not possible? I’ve created a script to help our plumbing engineers add a cleanout just by clicking on the elbow. It’s close but ideally would want to add a connector off the main or swap the elbow fitting on the main for a tee and connect the split cleanout section to it. Thoughts?

Cleanout

Pipe Fitting_Replace Elbow with Cleanout.pdf (2.0 MB)

Can you share an image of the graph (with node preview bubbles pinned) so we can see what the script is doing?

@dcesarz My initial thought is just to create a Revit family with an additional type to add the cleanout, instead of Dynamo script… Unless I’m missing some additional functionality of the script

@Nick_Boyts - added a pdf above

hey @danielU3R39 , its not a bad idea, I’ll look into that too.

Make sure to use the Export Workspace as Image (camera) button in the top right corner of Dynamo when creating graph images. The whole graph will be exported (not just the visible portion) so you don’t have to worry about scaling. Just make sure you’re zoomed in enough that the node titles are visible (otherwise they don’t show, like in your pdf).

Thanks @Nick_Boyts - i was too busy making sure i could see the pinned info (facepalm).
Pipe Fitting_Replace Elbow with Cleanout_2022-11-30_04-06-04.pdf (2.3 MB)

Hi,

I know this isn’t a direct solution to this question, but here you can see the logic I used to create fittings from CAD Layers to pipes, including fittings and tee’s. The elbows work perfectly with 3D CADs but I haven’t tested the tee elements. I know it isn’t the most efficient way to do this, but this was the only way I figured it works for batch creating.

Hope it can help.

Can you walk us through your graph? What are the general steps you’re taking to convert the elbow to a tee? It almost seems like you’re drawing the tee as two separate pipes instead of a fitting? I would suggest taking the elbow location and it’s two connectors, replacing the elbow with the correct tee family and reconnecting the same two connectors to the same two pipes. Then you can take the leftover connector on the tee and connect the cleanout.

Thanks @Nick_Boyts. I think your suggestion is one of the two methods I am looking to do / employ. The first method which i think would be easier if there is a way, would be to add a connector to this elbow, then connect the capped pipe to it.

The second method is more in line with what you are suggesting which would be to swap the elbow out with a tee, but i’m guessing i may need to flip the tee which i suppose i could do by understanding where the connectors are, just more steps. So basically my main question is, is there a way to add a connector to the elbow (which you would do with the plus sign in revit) with dynamo?

I should add, I am an architect by trade, spending most of my time on that time on that side of the fence so there may be something more clear I am missing w/ plumbing systems due to my ignorance ;).

Unfortunately, no. This is a Revit UI thing, there’s no API for this. It’s the same as option two just that Revit has it neatly wrapped up in one little contextual button.

thank you @Nick_Boyts

1 Like