Change pipe elbow to tee in order to add cap

Hello,

A common workflow we use for domestic water piping is to change an elbow to a tee (by using the + symbol) and adding a cap family for water hammer arrestors. The issue is how long this takes since you cannot select multiple elbows and turn them into tees all at once. I’m wondering if there is a way to do this with dynamo. I have tried using a few nodes from the MEPover package, and simply trying to set the fitting family as the tee family, to no avail. Nothing I have tried has even come close, otherwise I would post a screenshot. Does anyone have an idea as to how to accomplish this? I’m grasping at straws!

Thank you in advance!

Interesting idea.

I don’t recall anything in the MEPover package that directly converts fittings to ones with additional connectors (elbow to tee, tee to cross), but from a Revit standpoint you normally would have to specify which direction the tee extends so I suspect that it would be difficult outside of a python/C# workflow.

From a nodal standpoint (and this does get dirty) my initial thought would be:
Identify the main and branch curves
Mirror the main pipe against the branch. This is our placeholder pipe .
Use the By3MEPcurves node to build the tee using the main, the branch, and the placeholder pipe.
Delete the placeholder pipe.
In a new transaction, query for tees with open connectors, and apply your cap family to them.

1 Like

Thanks for the idea! It is a bit dirty but it could work. I will give it a try next time I have a bit of free time. Sounds like I might need to learn python to make a cleaner version!

Thank you again for the response.