Dynamo Solid to Revit with colour

Hi all,

I’ve managed to apply colour to solids in Dynamo, using Display.ByGeometryColor.

Dynamo Geometry

I am using ImportInstance.ByGeometry to push this Dynamo geometry into Revit.

Revit Geometry

Is it possible to bring the colour along?

Not directly. Revit uses materials so you have to define the material and set the color first.

I believe the FamilyInstance.ByGeometry node has functions to apply material as one option. Materials need to be defined in your file first though.

Thanks @jacob.small

I was trying that node as well, however I get the following error.

Warning

I believe that this error means you aren’t giving the node what it wants. Likely a material that isn’t a material but I am unsure as I can’t see enough.
Please post a screenshot of the entire graph, or at least something where I can see a watch node and an object.type node with preview enabled for all inputs into the node in question. Can’t troubleshoot what we can’t see.

Yes, in the current Revit view using Element.OverrideColorInView

1 Like

Thanks @Vikram_Subbaiah, as I want to create multiple views, I think I’ll have to make the Family Instance node work.

@jacob.small, below is the graph I’m putting together to extrude the Area elements and bring them back to the model.

The error message below:

I haven’t gotten to try the FamilyType.ByGeometry node yet, so that may be a part of the issue. Assuming it works like FamilyInstance.ByGeometry which can be found in the Springnodes package,here are a few things you can try:

1. flatten all the inputs prior to puttin them into the family creation node.
  2. set the lacing to ‘longest’ on the family creation node. I bring this up as the node may not default to longest lacing as springnodes does.

@Pablo_Perez_Valdivia You seem to be feeding template path a .rfa instead of a .rft

3 Likes

Absolutely correct @Vikram_Subbaiah, it’s working now.

What is not working is the material. None of the families created have any material applied.

1 Like

Try a material without texture/map
or
Create a new material with just the desired color

Unfortunately doesn’t work. I’ve just created a new material with no adjustments at all and doesn’t get applied to the solid :frowning:

Does the same material (or matching name) have to be in the file you are using as the template maybe?

I tried that as well and didn’t work either.

When you select the created family instance and Edit family, in the rfa file that opens there is a black material parameter available on selecting the geometry. Assign the desired material and reload into project.

Also, please report this issue at https://github.com/DynamoDS/DynamoRevit/issues

1 Like