Dynamo Solid to Revit in-place void / cut with reference plane

I have a Dynamo solid I want to cut Revit structural beam elements with.

My first thought was to model a reference plane, but I was surprised to see I can’t get Dynamo to cut with a reference plane, only another element (I had previously been surprised that Dynamo could do anything else I wanted it to thus far.)

My next thought is to convert that Dynamo solid into an in-place Revit void, but I can’t figure out how to do that either, only in a family.

Is there a solution? I can think of one other option which is to model a structural beam which is a void, but I can’t match the geometry using this method.

This might help: Dynamo Dictionary

Thanks; what goes in the TemplatePath? I am getting the error Input templateFileName doesn’t exist. What kind of template does it want?

.rft - Revit Family Template file.

But what kind of template file? Generic model?

That would likely work, yes.

It doesn’t seem to be working. I can’t find the elements in the Revit model in a 3D view with everything turned on, they won’t cut their intersecting element, and the geometry doesn’t intersect anything, including the base geometry used.

With this node a FamilyType is created, but no instances. Check the project browser. For each instance you will want a FamilyInstance constructor (the free + section of the FamilyInstance portion of the library).

1 Like