Dynamo Challenge 05: Connect to Something Interesting

Image source

Hello Dynamites! :wave:

We are super excited to introduce to you a series of Dynamo Challenges meant to inspire, to push boundaries, to explore lateral solutions and to grow your knowledge of Dynamo.

05 - CONNECT TO SOMETHING INTERESTING CHALLENGE:
Did you ever want to connect Dynamo to something else? Is the current world of Dynamo too small for your liking? Did you want to think laterally and go where nobody has taken Dynamo before?

Then look no further as we have the challenge for you! Introducing the connect to something interesting challenge, were we invite you to build a bridge between Dynamo and something awesome. Hardware, software, Cloud and beyond… the world is your oyster!

This challenge will run for almost two weeks, starting on Monday 22nd August at 9am EST, running until Thursday 1st September at 5pm EST.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:

1. Dynamo must be used in or part of your submission. :bar_chart:
  2. If you use a Dynamo graph, your .DYN file must be attached to your submission. :truck:
  3. If you use a Custom Package or Node in your submission, it must be hosted on Package Manager. Note: This may mean uploading a package! :package:
  4. This topic will be left open for discussion - use to your hearts content! Upon deadline of challenge, moderators will edit the post to introduce a community poll to select winners. :speech_balloon:
  5. We very much encourage wrong answers! Have fun with it. :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

SUBMISSION OF ENTRY:
All submissions are blind via Direct Message to @solamour and @jacob.small with the Challenge as your title - this link will start a handy message template. Please include all relevant files to execute the graph and reproduce your result as well as a still image(s). :person_with_white_cane:

PRIZES:

1. 1st Place = “Dynamo Challenge Winner” forum badge :name_badge:
  2. 2nd Place = “Dynamo Challenge Runner-up” forum badge :name_badge:
  3. Both = Presented in print media at the Autodesk University 2022 Dynamo Party :partying_face: :tada:

ALL CHALLENGES AND DATES:

We are super excited to see what all of you come up with and are here to cheerlead you on our journey to Dynamo Challenge greatness! :star_struck: :exploding_head: :nerd_face:

3 Likes

And our final Dynamo Challenge is now live! :golf: So come, have a read and submit your entry to connect Dynamo to something interesting!

3 Likes

My mind wanders of, and i can imagine the X,Y plane being some sort of plane with a horizon, stars moving across the X,Y,Z coordinates from some astronomy database and point out the Southern Cross in Kiwiland. The only input in Dynamo player would be a date.
Having a correction for the

would be something extra.
Calculating where we are in the cycles is another thing.
HA! :rofl:

4 Likes

Apart from the architecture/BIM/Computational Design and revit tools I make electronic music.
So a few years ago I thought to myself
“I have this cool midi controller with a ton of knobs, wouldn’t it be cool if I could map them to geometry controlling variables”
So I got a python midi package, I spent a ton of time figuring out why I can’t detect the midi signal, eventually I did and I managed to map it to a variable and right there and then I dropped the project.
Now this challenge looks suitable for it doesn’t it?

10 Likes

@viktor_kuzev ,

like this old stuff…

1 Like

@Draxl_Andreas oh yeah Zach Kron’s Buildz has given me so much inspiration when I was still in uni, trying to make fancy projects in Revit, while everyone else was saying Revit isn’t any good for complex geometry.
And since midi is just values between 0 and 128 you can remap them to whatever. I might give this a second try now for the challenge.

2 Likes

@viktor_kuzev ,

i tried this years ago… to implement in projects, BUT … :slight_smile: still nondynamo elements.

4 Likes

This Challenge is perfect for this! :smiley: Please do submit your entry. There is a link above in the message.

1 Like

That sounds extremely cool :smiley:

1 Like

Hello Dynamites! :wave:

This Challenge is now over (Oops on the delay… week got away from me) - a massive thanks to all who submitted their entries for the Dynamo Connect to Something Interesting challenge, and we can’t wait to see what epic things you have connected Dynamo to!

All graphs will become available after the close of the voting session in the Challenge Library as well as present in this thread, so that you can inspect each DYN file to help you choose your favorite! You can vote based on any criteria you like: Obviousness, randomness, usefulness, strangeness or any other!

Dynamo Challenge 05: Connect to Something Interesting
  • Entry 01: “Windows text to speech personal programming buddy”
  • Entry 02: “Dotbim file imported in Sketchup”
  • Entry 03: “DynaWeb Dynamo Forum Searcher”
  • Entry 04: “Using Python in Dynamo to install Python in Dynamo”
  • Entry 05: “Live NZ Power Grid Generation Visualizer”
  • Entry 06: “Hywe connection for browser-based layout planning”
0 voters
Entry 01: "Windows text to speech personal programming buddy"

D1000.dyn (17.2 KB)

Entry 02: "Dotbim file imported in Sketchup"

Dynamo Challenge 05.dyn (514.0 KB)

Entry 03: "DynaWeb Dynamo Forum Searcher"

DynaWeb Dynamo Forum Searcher.dyn (80.7 KB)

Entry 04: "Using Python in Dynamo to install Python in Dynamo"

Copy the code above into a Python node and watch the magic unfold.

Entry 05: "Live NZ Power Grid Generation Visualizer"

DynamoComp05_DynamoConnect_EwanOpie_NZPowerGridGeneration.dyn (118.0 KB)

Rename the files below to remove the trailing .txt to access the CSV files for input:
NZ_Coast.csv.txt (279.3 KB)
NZ_Text.csv.txt (15.4 KB)

Entry 06: "Hywe connection for browser-based layout planning"

Hywe.dyn (9.8 KB)

2 Likes

Just realised I put my name in the screengrab of my script, oops - ah well! Some awesome entries here that definitely do more creative things than my just for fun idea.

Pip for Dynamo (Dip?) gets my vote, but all amazing ideas. Love the hexagrid UI.

2 Likes

Three days left at this post to vote, so come have your 2 cents :1234:

1 Like

3… 2… 1… and we are done! Poll is closed, votes have been tallied and winners are now in. An absolute massive shout-out to all of you who entered; the entries were all fascinating ways of using Dynamo to connect to epic, interesting things :star_struck: Not only did you push yourselves, but the broader community can now learn from the way you do things, as you can now learn from the other entries! #rockOnEducation #inspirational

Without further ado, the dual winners are as follows:

:1st_place_medal: In dual First Place we have @e.j.nap and @c.poupin with their submission Using Python in Dynamo to install Python in Dynamo, and @Daan for his DynaWeb Dynamo Forum Searcher. Congratulations to you all - please go and enjoy your swanky new forum badges “Dynamo Challenge Winner”!

:2nd_place_medal: As we’ve got dual winning entries in first place, we will not have a runner-up in this challenge.

:trophy: For all the other participants who entered, a giant thank you for exploring how you could recreate this complex geometrical pattern using Dynamo! A huge shout-out to:

• @Menno_Mekes for his submission Dotbim file imported in Sketchup :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside:
  • @GavinCrump for his submission Windows text to speech personal programming buddy :speaking_head:
  • @Vikram_Subbaiah for his submission Hywe connection for browser-based layout planning :pencil2:
  • @Ewan_Opie for his submission Live NZ Power Grid Generation Vizualizer. :battery:

So excited to have wrapped up the Challenges for now, but we will definitely be running them again! :star_struck:

5 Likes

@e.j.nap @c.poupin @Daan you can now set your new Forum Badges in your preferences to have a funky new title :fireworks: :sparkler:

3 Likes

Wow ! Thanks !

1 Like

@c.poupin, @e.j.nap wanted you as co-author on the submission based on the thread where you both iterated and improved it :star_struck: #teamworkMakesTheDreamwork #givingBackGivesBack

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, for the votes, the competition and the collaboration! Now if only it didn’t crash half my students’ computers. #worksonmymachine

3 Likes