Dynamo Challenge 02: Geometric Patterning

Image source

Hello Dynamites! :smiley:

This Challenge is now over - a massive thanks to all who submitted their entries for the Dynamo Geometric Patterning challenge and we can’t wait to see who the community votes in as winner and runner-up! :star_struck:

All graphs will become available after the close of the voting session in the Challenge Library as well as present in this thread, so that you can inspect each DYN file to help you choose your favorite! You can vote based on approach, graph size, beauty, language choice or any other criteria of your choice!

Dynamo Challenge 02: Geometric Patterning
  • Entry 01: “Geometric Pattern”.
  • Entry 02: “Dynamo Geometry: Folding, Mosaic and Pandoras Box” .
  • Entry 03: “Dynamo Forum Challenge #2”.
  • Entry 04: “Forum Challenge #2”.
  • Entry 05: “Pattern v3”.
  • Entry 06: “Dynamo Challenge 02 - Geometric Patterning”
  • Entry 07: “Challenge 02 - AAAR”.
0 voters
Entry 01: "Geometric Pattern"

Entry-01-GeometricPattern.dyn (20.9 KB)

Entry 02: "Dynamo Geometry: Folding, Mosaic and Pandoras Box"

Entry-02-A
Entry-02-B
Entry-02-PandorasBox|attachment.dyn (187.5 KB)
Entry-02-Mosaic|attachment.dyn (188.4 KB)
Entry-02-Folding|attachment.dyn (58.8 KB)

Entry 03: "Dynamo Forum Challenge #2"

Entry-03-A
Entry-03-ForumChallenge02.dyn (571.6 KB)

Entry 04: "Forum Challenge #2"

Entry-04-A
Entry-04-ForumChallenge2.dyn (329.4 KB)

Entry 05: "Pattern v3"

Entry-04-A
Entry-04-B
Entry-04-C
Entry-04-PatternV3.dyn (1015.1 KB)

Entry 06: "Dynamo Challenge 02 - Geometric Patterning"

Entry-06-DynamoChallenge02GeometricPatterning.dyn (250.8 KB)

Entry 07: "Challenge 02 - AAAR"

Entry-07-A
Entry-07-Challenge02_AAAR.dyn (302.7 KB)

Original post collapsed below :point_down:

In case you were curious...

Hello Dynamites! :wave:

We are super excited to introduce to you a series of Dynamo Challenges meant to inspire, to push boundaries, to explore lateral solutions and to grow your knowledge of Dynamo.

02 - GEOMETRIC PATTERNING CHALLENGE:
Do you like complex patterns? Do you like hard things? Do you want to try your hand at something that may make your brain melt? Or may inspire you on towards greatness? Is Geometry where your heart lies?

Then do we have the challenge for you; introducing the Geometric Pattern challenge, where we challenge you to recreate, in any way you can, the pattern in the above image :nerd_face: This goes beyond the typical patterns you see in Dynamo that are repeating and takes it a little further.

There are a handful of entry requirements below, but we encourage you to cast your (dynamo) net far and wide in your explorations and submissions.

This challenge will run for almost two weeks, starting on Monday 1st August at 9am EST, running until Thursday 11th August at 5pm EST.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS:

1. Dynamo must be used in or part of your submission. :bar_chart:
  2. If you use a Dynamo graph, your .DYN file must be attached to your submission. :truck:
  3. If you use a Custom Package or Node in your submission, it must be hosted on Package Manager. Note: This may mean uploading a package! :package:
  4. This topic will be left open for discussion - use to your hearts content! Upon deadline of challenge, moderators will edit the post to introduce a community poll to select winners. :speech_balloon:
  5. We very much encourage wrong answers! Have fun with it. :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

SUBMISSION OF ENTRY:
All submissions are blind via Direct Message to @solamour and @jacob.small with the Challenge as your title - this link will start a handy message template. Please include all relevant files to execute the graph and reproduce your result as well as a still image(s). :person_with_white_cane:

PRIZES:

1. 1st Place = “Dynamo Challenge Winner” forum badge :name_badge:
  2. 2nd Place = “Dynamo Challenge Runner-up” forum badge :name_badge:
  3. Both = Presented in print media at the Autodesk University 2022 Dynamo Party :partying_face: :tada:

ALL CHALLENGES AND DATES:

We are super excited to see what all of you come up with and are here to cheerlead you on our journey to Dynamo Challenge greatness! :star_struck: :exploding_head: :nerd_face:

10 Likes

This Challenge is now live! :star_struck: Can’t wait to see what you all come up with.

6 Likes

it’s a Zach thing i think,

1 Like

or Antoni Gaudi - Sagrada Familia - Style
https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Tree---columns-at-La-Sagrada-Familia-by-Antonio-Gaudi-Barcelona-Spain-1883-to-the_fig2_305638677

1 Like

Or…
Origami JWST Python3 thing maybe

1 Like

Blimey! Nothing like easing us all in gently is there?!

:astonished:

I think I’m gunna need more wine :laughing:

6 Likes

You can attempt a part of it, or something inspired by it too! Remember: Wrong Answers encouraged :wink:

2 Likes

I leave my wrong answers at work :wink:

3 Likes

@solamour ,

you mean this is a start ?

I go to sleep… if somebody can solve these geometrical stuff…

5 Likes

I’m waiting for @Vikram_Subbaiah’s 5 lines of designscript that solves it :laughing:

12 Likes

You’ll be disappointed at least 10 times over :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

@Vikram_Subbaiah ,

any advice?

8 Likes

Great article @Draxl_Andreas :star_struck: I love this code! :slight_smile:

With a pop of color :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Step 1: Create a radial composition of the 5 geometric forms within the core, each of which repeats 12 times
Step 2: Place copies the geometry created at Step 1 around it (6 of them).
Step 3: The resulting gaps can then be filled by a radial composition of 2 more geometric forms, each of which repeats 6 times
Step 4: Crop the desired pattern extent from the larger pattern obtained by the above steps

6 Likes

@Vikram_Subbaiah ,

so i can start to investigate :slight_smile: … it works finaly analog… my problem was i was too focused on metric values… i just worked more with angles, let flow the geometry…

11 Likes

Now only convert the four steps into 4 lines of designscript :crazy_face:

3 Likes

@Draxl_Andreas please do make sure you officially submit this to the Competition via the link above :wink:

when i am finished… i am far from it… :wink: @solamour

2 Likes