Dynamo Challenge 02: Geometric Patterning

My Dynamo-dream has always been to create a crease-pattern on a flat surface and then automate it to fold into the shape. Running one Origami-fold after the next. If this challenge would run two decades instead of two weeks I might crack it… Now I will turn in a very incomplete part of this piece of paper art.

2 Likes

@Menno_Mekes
Something like this?

4 Likes

Yes! It’s not that much code so maybe I can understand it. Especially the last fold is interesting since that’s what most origami creations are full of. Not to mention the bunny-ear-fold.
Unfortunately most origami I fold are at least 25 folds… Maybe better to start learning Blender.

@Menno_Mekes ,

is Blender getting a BIM-Implementation? that would be a breakthrough! with Dynamo OpenSource pure !

BlenderBIM exists for quit some time now.
No Dynamo support but if you can code in Python you can contribute.

1 Like

I’m a new member of this community, so I’m having some troubles to upload my submission, if somebody can tell me if there’s another option or if I’m doing something wrong, I’ll appreciate it.

Thanks.

This Challenge is now closed, and the poll is open! :boom: So please come vote and have your 2 cents on who you think did it the most interesting way for you :star_struck:

2 Likes

Oh wow, these are awesome!

Again I ask… WHY CAN’T I VOTE FOR MORE THAN 1… WHY DO YOU MAKE ME DECIDE? :melting_face:

3 Likes

Since submissions are over I’ll share my attempt, which I didn’t submit because it fully violates entry requirement #1… of involving dynamo in any way. I hope you don’t mind that I couldn’t resist a fun geometric challenge!

I built my solution in C# using the open source Hypar Elements library — first as a C# interactive notebook, and then published it as a Hypar function (which you can play with yourself at the following link with a free account):

You can check out how I built it here: dynamo-challenge-2/DynamoChallenge2.cs at master · andrewheumann/dynamo-challenge-2 · GitHub

9 Likes

Simply awesome @andrew_hypar ! I was hoping you would chime in and share your creation. :clap: Very awesome stuff, and I would argue that the open-source nature is probably more interesting than being created in regular 'ol Dynamo. :grin:

3 Likes

And we have another week for the voting! So please everyone take a look, explore and have your say in what tickles your fancy most :smiley:

1 Like

For sure, learning is learning :nerd_face: That’s really what this Forum is all about!

3… 2… 1… and we are done! Poll is closed, votes have been tallied and winners are now cemented. An absolute massive shout-out to all of you who entered; the entries were all vastly different ways to achieve a very similar result :star_struck: Not only did you push yourselves, but the broader community can now learn from the way you do things, as you can now learn from the other entries! #rockOnEducation #inspirational

Without further ado, the dual winners are as follows:

:1st_place_medal: In dual First Place we have @Vikram_Subbaiah with his submission Geometric Pattern., and @Draxl_Andreas with his submission Pattern v3. Congratulation to you both and please go and enjoy your swanky new forum badge “Dynamo Challenge Winner”, now settable through your profile!

:2nd_place_medal: As we have dual first-place winners, we do not have a runner-up for this Challenge.

:trophy: For all the other participants who entered, a giant thank you for exploring how you could recreate this complex geometrical pattern using Dynamo! A huge shout-out to:

• @Ewan_Opie for his entry Dynamo Geometry: Folding, Mosaic and Pandoras Box.
  • @honeyjain619 for his entry Dynamo Forum Challenge #2.
  • @Alien for their entry Forum Challenge #2.
  • @Menno_Mekes for his entry Dynamo Chalenge 02 - Geometric Patterning.
  • @alex_3ar for his entry Challenge 02 - AAAR.

Looking forward to what the next challenges bring - so get your thinking hats on and see where it takes you! :bullettrain_side:

5 Likes

@Vikram_Subbaiah and @Draxl_Andreas you can set your new Forum Badge under your profile! :smiley:

5 Likes