Dynamo and IronPython - incompatibilities with other applications

The Dynamo team recently became aware of some reports that python in Rhino 6 was not functioning on some machines with Dynamo installed.
like this one

We’ve added some information to the Dynamo FAQ wiki entry, and would like to share it here as well in case you run into a similar problem.

we’ll also be posting a short blog post on this info.

Tried the instructions (i.e. disable GAC, copy dll), I get another error.

Could not load file or assembly 'IronPython, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

at Dynamo.Python.IronPythonCompletionProvider..ctor()
   at PythonNodeModelsWpf.ScriptEditorWindow..ctor(DynamoViewModel dynamoViewModel)
   at PythonNodeModelsWpf.PythonNodeViewCustomization.EditScriptContent()
   at PythonNodeModelsWpf.PythonNodeViewCustomization.view_MouseDown(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
   at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
   at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(RoutedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
   at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
   at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, WindowMessage msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
   at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Hi @SpencerMAQ thanks for trying out the steps - we have not been able to reproduce this crash, but a similar issue was seen with the original post linked above. Can you tell me about your system?

• version of revit?
  • version of Dynamo
  • Windows version?
  • Can you post a screen shot of your Dynamo Install directory - where you copied the IronPython.Modules.dll

you might also try copying all the dlls from the ironPython install folder:
ironPython, Microsoft.Scripting, Microsoft.Dynamic,IronPython.Modules, into your dynamoCore install directory.

I would like to get to the bottom of this.

Revit 2018
Windows 10

Looks like copying the other dlls worked. Not sure though if it was just the dlls that solved the problem because there seemed to be some sort of error when I didn’t copy their XMLs. After copying their corresponding XMLs, python works again.
Not really sure though if this is due to the XMLs.

Hi @SpencerMAQ actually, I can now reproduce this, it looks like the 1.x installers before our latest internal one are not delivering IronPython.dll or some of the other ironPython deps to the dynamo core installation folder.

I recreated your crash and fixed it by copying:

• IronPython.dll
  • IronPython.Modules.dll
  • Microsoft.Scripting.dll
  • Microsoft.Scripting.MetaData.dll
  • Microsoft.Dynamic.dll

to my 1.3 dynamoCore folder.

I don’t think the xmls should matter -
Please make sure Revit is closed before copying these files over and thanks for your report.

Conflict with Rhino6 ghpython