Dynamo crash on editing Python Script Node

Hi everyone,

I suddenly got this error from nowhere. I’m using Dynamo version 1.1.1 latest daily build and latest Python 2.7.6.3. Please see the error below. Anyone get any ideas what is causing this problem. Many thanks

Could not load file or assembly ‘IronPython, Version=2.7.0.40, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f709c5b713576e1’ or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

at Dynamo.Python.IronPythonCompletionProvider…ctor()
at PythonNodeModelsWpf.ScriptEditorWindow…ctor(DynamoViewModel dynamoViewModel)
at PythonNodeModelsWpf.PythonNodeViewCustomization.EditScriptContent()
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

@letuandinh did you find a solution? I’m getting this same error and can’t edit any Python script nodes.

Check if your IronPython 2.7 is installed in C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\IronPython2.7\

It looks to be installed in that directory. I updated to the recent IronPython 2.7.6.3 and now whenever I try to edit Python Script nodes, Dynamo crashes. Any ideas? The error suggests to me that it’s looking for an old version (2.7.0.40). Thanks in advance for your help Konrad!

Remove all Python, Dynamo all your machine, reinstall Dynamo with built-in 2.7 Python

1 Like

yeah I am afraid that @letuandinh is right. Dynamo is compatible with 2.7 but i doubt that it was updated to the latest so it makes sense to re-install and get the older version.

I’ve been looking into this, since I’m very interested in the 2.7.5 update to IronPython – it allows you to use the pip install function to install a huge number of python libraries (provided they’re compatible with IronPython).

I’m using Dynamo 1.3/Revit 2017.2

As mentioned, manually updating IronPython to version 2.7.7 or 2.7.6 will cause Dynamo to crash when editing a Python Script node, but for some reason 2.7.5 appears to work just fine (lucky me).

Long story short, at the moment it appears that you can upgrade IronPython as far as 2.7.5, but no higher.

Hello - I have just installed Revit 2017.2 and Dynamo 1.3 on a new machine, and Dynamo will not pop up. Someone suggested it might have something to do with Python. Do you know how I would update/check Python to see if that is the problem? Thanks

First of all, make sure you’re looking in the ‘Manage’ tab now instead of the ‘Add-ins’ tab (not trying to be insulting here - this screwed up an obscene number of ppl at my office)

Otherwise, as mentioned above, I’d suggest uninstalling IronPython and Dynamo 1.3 from your computer, and then re-installing http://dynamobim.org/download/ since that install also installs the correct version of IronPython that you need.

To manually check the version of IronPython that’s installed, the simplest way is to run the IronPython application ipy.exe in your program files (for me, that’s C:\Program Files (x86)\IronPython 2.7\ipy.exe). The version should show up at the top of the command line.

If none of those things work, we’ll have to dig deeper.