Dynamo 3.0 moving to .NET 8

Dynamo 3.0 is going to be released on top of the .NET 8 framework.
In a previous blog post we announced that Dynamo was working hard to move to .NET6, but in order to keep in sync with our host applications (such as Revit 2025 and Civil 3D 2025) we decided to directly to .NET8 instead.

What does this mean for you? For package authors? Package consumers? General Dynamo users? Come take a read of our technical blog post here.

You can read our previous post when we were on the journey to .NET 6.0 before shifting gears and also embracing .NET 8.0 here: Dynamo upgrading to .NET 6

10 Likes

And which version of Revit will we see this in?

It will show up in Revit 2025, Civil 3D 2025 etc.

1 Like

Hi,
What about the DynamoCore 2.x lifecycle? Will I have to keep a particular version of Revit (or whatever) to use DynamoSandBox 2.xx?

I ask because Navisworks isn’t going to migrate to .Net 8 at the moment, and some people are using the DynaWorks package (or Navisworks COM API with Python).

1 Like

The specifics of applicationX program interop will require some specific case by case testing.

In the case of Navisworks, as their API is out of process and COM driven I don’t believe there will be much direct impact as I believe that other .NET8 tools already interact with it. I don’t know if it is tested yet, but Revit has always had a Navisworks import/export feature which relies on that same COM api.

To me the question will be more around HOW we interact with it via Dynamo likely has more specifics though. Access via Python will likely require some changes (perhaps significant) though Insuspect those will be more Python engine driven. Access via zero touch likely won’t have as many issues after remapping references.

1 Like

Hi @c.poupin - All of the AEC product space that Dynamo directly engages with under an in-process way, Revit and Civil 3D, are upgrading to .NET 8.0. In this frame we had to make this upgrade or there would be no Dynamo.

The Dynamo 2.X lifecycle is essentially finished with the exception of patches that we will backport for things like Security, Stability, Performance or egregious bugs.

If you want to keep using geometry in the frame of Dynamo, then yes you’ll need an older version of Revit installed (Or other hosts that we pull it from) to use it, unless that connected is not impacted by any API changed in the .NET 8.0 upgrade.

3 Likes

This is just a specific case with ‘Autodesk.Navisworks.Interop.ComApi’ and ‘Autodesk.Navisworks.Interop.ComApiAutomation’ assemblies cannot be loaded in a .Net 8 environment (I don’t think there’s an alternative solution).

Are you testing the 2025 product line of both Revit and Navisworks?

just tested Revit 2025, but I know that Navisworks isn’t going to migrate to .Net 8 at the moment

Doesn’t mean the interop API won’t change. :wink:

2 Likes

@c.poupin not sure I understand the scenario for the com types you mentioned. Are there com types in navisworks or in Dynaworks that need to be loaded in an out of process Dynamo to unable communication ? If these com types are supposed to be loaded in Dynamo out of process, it might still work, even if Dynamo is on net8 and navisworks is on an older .net framework.

Mea Culpa,

I just re-tested with the latest version of Navisworks and Dynamo 3.1 it works fine

7 Likes

Just hope is all product upgrade at the same part :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Hi All
I am currently experimenting with Dynamo 3 to access the COM API of Civil 3D 2025 through the Dynamo sandbox environment. During my exploration, I’ve encountered a significant difference in the COM API between Civil 3D 2024 and 2025 versions.

In Civil 3D 2024, the Document object within the COM API provided access to a ‘corridors’ object

However, upon inspecting the COM API for Civil 3D 2025, I’ve noticed that the Document object no longer includes the ‘corridors’ object .

Is there a particular reason to use COM?

1 Like

@Anton_Huizinga To access Civil 3D (C3D) from an external application, such as Dynamo for Revit. it is very important for linear structral (Bridge and Tunnel)

1 Like

Ah ok, now I understand :slight_smile:

Can’t help you though, I am not using COM (or Revit).

1 Like

@mzjensen any thoughts on this one?

1 Like

@RMohareb would you mind posting your inquiry here?

3 Likes