Dynamo 2.0.2 Silent Install Does Not Work

Installing Dynamo 2.0.2 with the following command line:

“\\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\Autodesk\Dynamo\2.0.2\DynamoInstall2.0.2.exe” /VERYSILENT /NORESTART

The installer detects the previous version, 2.0.1 in our case, and prompts to reinstall:

Pushing this via group policy at system startup causes the system to wait for a user to confirm, but we cannot see the dialogue, so the install never completes.

How can I deploy this latest update?

Steve.

Hi @grybatur

What happens when you hit “Yes”?

Well it installs of course, but I cannot do that if its running as a background script at system startup. /VERYSILENT is supposed to be silent. It is not supposed to prompt.

Uninstall 2.0.1 first?

Can’t find a way to do it. /? on the 2.0.1 installer does not reveal an uninstall switch. Also, even if I manually remove the two components Dynamo Core and Dynamo Revit, the installer for 2.0.2 still thinks they are installed. I have to be able to script this as a silent install or we cannot upgrade.

If the uninstall method you used indicated the previous versions were still there then there may be an uninstall issue. What method did you use to uninstall?

The DynamoRevit installer does not provide uninstall option. Rather than just deleting the file contents, users usually need to go to control panel to remove both components manually. See screen shot below:

OK, but how can I script that? I am deploying to 100 computers, this is not happening manually.

We have the same issue.
Maybe we can delete the folders C:\Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Core\2 and C:\Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2 before we start the silent install of 2.0.2 ?

Actually, manually removing them does not work either, because it leaves registry keys behind. It’s a crap installer.

They way I have resolved this is to batch script the uninstall, remove the files and folders, and delete some registry keys, which eventually allows the install of 2.0.2 to work:

echo Cleaning installer 2.0.1
msiexec /X{1F92ED0D-EB98-4343-8678-03AD531DB087} /quiet
msiexec /X{A34D693C-946B-47A0-8543-A44954873805} /quiet

echo Cleaning files
del /S /F /Q “C:\Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2”
del /S /F /Q “C:\Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Core\2”
del /S /F /Q “C:\Program Data\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2”

echo Cleaning folders
rd /S /Q “C:\Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2”
rd /S /Q “C:\Program Files\Dynamo\Dynamo Core\2”
rd /S /Q “C:\Program Data\Dynamo\Dynamo Revit\2”

echo Cleaning registry
reg delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Dynamo Revit 2.0” /f
reg delete “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Dynamo Core 2.0” /f

echo Installing Dynamo 2.0.2
\\Our_DFS_Path\Autodesk\Dynamo\2.0.2\DynamoInstall2.0.2.exe" /VERYSILENT /NORESTART

I think all you need to do is delete the registry keys for the install to work, but to keep it clean I have left all the other bits in.

Hopefully with the next release, they make the /VERYSILENT switch actually work!!!

Thanks,
Steve…

3 Likes

grybatur,

thanks for sharing. Would you remember how you retrieved the uninstall string for Dynamo Core? (the second msiexec command)
I have multiple versions in my environment and would like to retrieve the uninstall string for all versions. While it’s straight forward to get the Dynamo Revit uninstall string, Dynamo Core has been a challange so far.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You just need to comb the registry for clues. Look at the keys under the Uninstall key as shown in this screenshot.