Duplicating Sheets using bimorph not working

hello, I am trying to duplicate my sheets using bimorph but it doesnt seem to be working at all. What am I doing wrong?

Hi @mix

Ensure you Sheet schedule contains the Sheet Number field, and also ensure the string in your code block matches the name of your Sheet Schedule exactly (In my example below, my Revit Sheet Schedule is called “Sheet List”, thats what I would need to input into the code block):

I am doing it like that but its still not working

it appears to have something with the duplicate option. I have it set to “2” I tried to set it to “1” and it ran for a much longer time, then Revit Crashed. Please advise.

Firstly, ensure there are no placeholder sheets in your Revit Schedule. Next, check the name of your Sheet List schedule, as per the Project Browser. In the example below, I would enter “Sheet List” into the code block. Its case sensitive too.

Set your Dynamo graph to manual mode (if you’re not sure how to do this, its a drop-down selection on the bottom-left of the Dynamo interface).

If you have run the graph, disconnect the sheets from the bimorph.DuplicateSheets node and click run again to clear the cache. Check your Revit document for duplicates - if they exist because the node partially ran on previous attempts, delete them out. Once you’ve done this, connect the sheets back into bimorph.DuplicateSheets node and click the Dynamo run button and it should work.

If you still get errors check there’s nothing in your file that’s causing it to crash by creating a new RVT with some views etc which is representative of your current file and ensure it works there to rule out any bugs with the node. If it works then the likelihood is there is something in your file which is causing the node to fail.

Well, I checked to see if there were any placeholders and there were not. I understand that it was case sensitive. and checked that multiple times. But it looks fine. Does the name have to be “Sheet List” or can it be something different? I tried it with “Sheet List” also, no dice. I unhooked the sheets node an ran it to clear the cache, and that appeared to do something. Albeit just make Revit Crash with the duplicat option set to 2 instead of 1…?
I got it to replace one sheet! lol what the heck?

@Thomas_Mahon
Do you have an email address? I can wetransfer my revit project to you. And you can trouble shoot it easier that way.

I reckon I know what the problem is; a bug in the node:

Have you got 3D views, legends or drafting views on your sheets? If so they’re not supported in this version of bimorphNodes (they cant be duplicated as dependants and in v1.4.4 and its not handled). I’ve got a new version of this node which will be released this month and it has big upgrades: all view types are fully supported and the issue you have reported is fixed. It also duplicates text notes, detail lines and any Symbols placed on your sheets. In the mean time I see if I can post some updated code to get this working and I’ll let you know on this thread as soon as BimorphNodes v2.0 is released.

Awesome! Thanks! Please hurry!

1 Like

@mix I’ve just written a fix for the bimorph.DuplicateSheets node which prevents the error you reported from occurring. Its available for download using the Package Manager (v1.5.0). Please note this is a fix and may still contain bugs. Schedules are not supported in this version, nor is character cleaning or text notes, detail lines or Symbols placed on sheets. These features will be available in bimorphNodes v2.0

It’s worth mentioning character cleaning as this may cause you more errors. Basically the following characters are illegal for view names: **][:{}|;<>?~** The problem is some views, like the default 3D views circumvents this restriction without Revit kicking up a fuss (_{3D}_ for example). The problem this causes for nodes that duplicate views and names them using the original view name + a prefix and/or suffix (likebimorph.DuplicateSheets`) is Revit will throw an exception which terminates the node process. As mentioned, v2.0 handles this exception by ‘cleaning’ view names of illegal characters using a simple Regular Expression, but this feature is not in the fix I’ve just issued. Therefore, check your view names prior to running the update and remove the above characters from your views where necessary as this will be the final barrier to a successful run.

1 Like

So if my views are contain ‘A’ that is what is causing Revit to crash still? If my sheets have schedules, detail lines, and symbols placed on them, will it still copy the sheet, just not all the extra stuff? or will it just crap out still?

No, the cause of the crash in v1.4.4 was caused by the Revit API View.Duplicate() method being called on views which cant be duplicated. This is now fixed in v1.5.1 which you can download from the package manager.

Schedules , detail lines, symbols, dims, groups etc etc are all ignored by the node and therefore have no impact whatsoever on stability. As mentioned v2.0 will handle all of this and has been built for stability.

1 Like

Ok, well I wrote a graph to cleanup my sheet names like you said the problem was by getting rid of all the ’ characters that I had, and it worked! I am now tinkering to play with which categories the sheets fall into in my project browser. Thanks so much!

Great - just wait for v2.0 and you wont need to do any of this, it will remove all illegal characters in view names for you plus do everything else you can think of (apart from making toast…but I’m looking into this for v3.0).

Awesome! when will 2.0 be out?

This month workload permitting.

is there a way to get rid of the suffex being added to the duplicated view names on the sheets? I dont want this

Also, it doesnt seem to be copying the view port type over. For example I have many masking regions, and they are supposed to have a different viewport type that turns of the viewport title on the page. Your addin does not recognize the viewport type when copying the views on the sheet. Does your version 2.0 do that? thanks!

In answer to your first question, you can use the string Library of nodes to remove characters you don’t want then use Bimorph.renumberOrRenameSheets.

In answer to your second question, yes, matching Viewport Family Types will be supported in v2.0.

1 Like

@mix bimorphNodes v2.0 has been released and includes these features

1 Like