Download recent Dynamo for Revit 2019

On site it’s says there is downloadable version of most recent Dynamo for Revit 2019. Where is it? There is only 2.0.3 available from builds page. And please don’t tell me to get Revit 2020 because it comes there in package, if I was allowed, I would have done it already. And if there’s no version for Revit 2019, then it’s a very bad way to support a software that’s that new… :disappointed:

This one?

That’s old one 2.0.3, there’s 2.2.1 already.

yup, sorry bout that, im still using 2.0.3 on my revit 2019, and 2.2.0 on my revit 2020. Havent even tryed getting 2.2.0 on my Revit 2019

Hi!

I’m using Revit 2019.2 + Dynamo 2.0.3.0 and I had an automatic notification in my open & running Dynamo, that the update is available. I circled it in the picture below. Green cloud on the top right corner in the ribbon.
Try that and inform me back please, because I didn’t have the courage yet to update, in the fear of reinstalling all my packages, that need at the moment :slight_smile:

Don’t worry about updating form 2.0.2 to 2.0.3. But I don’t have that notification about update because, what I’m afraid of, there will be no updates for Revit 2019 from 2.0.3.

And that’s a nonsense… :persevere:

2.0.3 is the most recent version of Dynamo for Revit 2019: https://dynamobim.org/dynamo-2-0-3-hotfix/
2.2.1 is the version for Revit 2020.
2.3 and 2.4 are only available in Sandbox currently

There is a clear explanation of the strategy for integration with Revit in these blog posts: https://dynamobim.org/dynamo-core-2-1-release/
https://dynamobim.org/a-new-way-to-get-dynamo-sandbox/

1 Like

Oh, okay, thank you and sorry then, I thought it updates higher.

If 2.2.1 can run on Revit 2019 but they don’t add it support it’s nonsense for me. No excuses apply. That’s just sh***y way to support your client base.

It’s not trivial to maintain different versions of software across multiple applications, so sensibly they have developed a targeted strategy. 2.0.3 includes the critical fixes from 2.1 anyway. Earlier versions of Dynamo were only compatible with certain versions of Revit as well, so it’s not new.

The Sandbox versions for 2.3 onwards allow us to see the improvements in advance of integration with the Autodesk host applications (not just Revit, but Civil3D etc).

2 Likes

It’s not true for most engineering or contractor companies across the Netherlands. At least what goes about the most recent version of application. We don’t even have Revit 2019 officially at where I work and everyone gets from the IT department Revit 2017. :roll_eyes:

But the issue still stands. I and most of my colleagues are stuck at Revit 2019 for at least one more year and we not going to benefit from the development of Dynamo. Thanks a lot, Autodesk. :unamused:

p.s. btw, frustration is not towards you. You just happend to argue for their decisions and reply to post.

First up, I get where you’re coming from here. In fact I lobbied hard to keep backwards and forwards build compatibility. But there are a few things to consider that eventually turned my mind around, some which i think Thomas was getting at before.

1. Back porting takes a LOT of effort. And while I am not on the development team, its pretty easy to think through. There are many changes in 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 2.4 and 2.5 which require quite a bit of testing for all aspects of the program in every host, otherwise you see stuff like ‘we no longer have any sort of library’ or ‘the search feature will crash and won’t let you relaunch until you restart.’

2. Dynamo is now well outside of the limits of just Revit and suddenly you’d see that in a few years team that builds our beloved open source graphical programming interface would have to ‘stretch back’ to work on top of 15 different host builds simultaneously (3 years mentioned * [RVT, C3D, AS, FMT, AA]).

This would literally cripple development’s progress on the stuff that is in 2.1+. All you would ever see is status quo like it was MS Word.

Since the development team has moved on from a constant drive for backwards compatibility a LOT of great stuff has happened really quickly, with even more coming. Check the dates on the builds page as evidence, you’ll see the days between posting dropping quite a bit. As a result the host products have the capability to incorporate more awesome new features at once in a given year (will Revit 2021 use Dynamo 2.4 or perhaps a 2.5 or what? Stay tuned!), instead of the trickle we were getting before. And all the while 2.0 has continued to see updates at more or less the same pace we got with 1.3 (which had nearly 3 years for 4 updates).

This isn’t the case - there is nothing that says you won’t get a 2.0.4 for 2019. Or 2.0.9999 even (ok that’s not going to happen as it would be a release a day for like 30 years). As noted above the critical fixes are included already, and I would like to think that will be the case for awhile yet. And while there is significant benefit in the stuff that is included in Dynamo 2.1+, not having access to those isn’t holding you back any more than not having any of the content released in 2020.1.

2 Likes

It is developed by Autodesk isn’t it? Don’t tell me the can’t hire more people to do the extra lifting because of the financial reasons. And as I’ve mentioned most companies don’t like changing applications every year (which is why, an normal update would be have been the correct way, rather than making it so that you need to install the application from scratch and files of that version are not compatible with a version that’s barely an year old! But this is an different issue…)

Does this mean that’s scripts for 2.0.3 have a chance of not working on newer versions? So the development of graphs that happening in the most used version of Revit (version 2019) will require substantial update?

Seeing how there’s “regularly” a new version of 1.3, I not going to count on it.

Anyhow, I do accept the fact that the are reasons why Revit 2019 is already in an waiting oblivion for up to date Dynamo. But I’m not happy about any of them.

p.s.: I do understand that the dev team most likely don’t make this decisions on them selfs (management does). So once again, frustration isn’t personal.

1 Like

Unlike many industries (including AEC which still suffers horribly from a ‘work more hours’ mentality), in software throwing bodies at the problem usually leads to more problems because there is a single codebase that has to be completely cohesive with itself. Imagine if every time someone used something as trivial as typing GWB vs GYPSUM BOARD the entire project stopped working - that is the case with software. As a result large development teams require years to stand up, and often grow best by adding entire teams instead of single employees.

Most companies do have the processes in place to do updates daily, but typically choose not for production software as they don’t see the business value - a quick conversation with their IT leadership can usually change that.

I do admit that it’s unreasonable to upgrade a project annually and that isn’t what I am referring to, just that everyone should have the latest Revit installed. In fact it should be installed within a couple weeks of The first patch (so 14 days after 20XX.0.1 comes out).

In case you are interested, this is my logic.

Someday you will have 2020 installed (unless you are always the prime contract holder and can force all consultants to use a given version), and so there is some time you will have to spend to build that deployment - as a result setting that up early doesn’t cost you anything in the long term; Having it installed doesn’t force existing projects to upgrade as they don’t have to update unless they want to; Having it installed allows people who might want to grow on their own by experimenting with new features so your office is ready to take advantage of them; Having it installed allows new projects to start in the new version on day one instead of waiting for IT to install it as a one off or starting in ‘the stuff we have installed; Having it installed helps ensure you are always using a supported version (obligatory reminder that 2016 product line likely stops being officially supported in 6 months or so) as you only get 4 years from start to finish. I have yet to hear a compelling argument behind not installing it. Maybe having to build one or two extra deployments for updates?

No. This means that files written in that version may not work well in a prior version, but breaking file format changes only happen in 1.x, 2.x, 3.x shifts. There was a post about this when 2.0 launched and another one that gave a larger rundown. You might want to search the blog or the web for “semantic versioning” to get more info.

1.3 stopped being developed awhile back as 2.x was out for all the supported versions (I believe that was late 2018, as 2016 was the last build to not work with 2.x). Prior to that it averaged about one update every 4 months, which is pretty good. 2.x has had about the same pace so far too.

I would gladly argue about this, but I’m afraid we both going to stick to our opinions. But I do accept your explanation.

This is not the case to my knowlegd. Even when I request a new software from the IT depatrment it takes days if not weeks after the line manager gave permission. Nobody, at least in the Netherlands where I’m from, is upgrading every year. Believe me, I’ve worked for many engineering companies.

In practice this never ever ever happens. Again, from my experience at least in the Netherlands.

Only not for anything below Revit 2020, you forgot to add… :neutral_face:

I think there’s no need to spam this topic anymore. If anyone want’s to know where to download Dynamo 2.2 and above for Revit 2019, the answer is nowhere.

So if I understand well, to install new dynamo version for revit 2019, the file is named “DynamoInstall2.0.3.exe”. If we want to play with only sandbox, the file is named “DynamoCoreRuntime2.3.0.zip” ?

Correct.

1 Like

Close - the latest for Revit 2019 is now 2.0.4.

To play woth sandbox download any of the zip files, but if you want to match the Dynamo for Revit build you would want 2.0.4.zip.

2 Likes