Display Revit pipe as tube not cylinder

Hi everyone. Is there a way of using Dynamo to force Revit to display pipe system families as tubes rather than cylinders?

I have a script that reads a baseline from Civil3D and converts it into a Revit pipe, but I need to be able to show the pipes wall thickness.

Thanks

Hi @chris.holmes probably with some cut geometry

Revit_hasWdcfyX7

Cool, thanks for the quick reply. Iā€™ll give it a go

you will need spring package and clockworkā€¦which revit version are you in ? spring doesnt wotk so good in 2022

Iā€™m in Revit 2023.1 and Dynamo 2.16.1.2727

Great then it should work :wink:

Hi, Iā€™ve built the script using your example, but getting IronPython2 errors on the 2 custom nodes Element.CutGeometry and FamilyInstance.ByGeometry. How did you fix this? Thanks

Hit ā€˜Okā€™ and live with the warning, optionally dismiss it permanently with the ā€˜do not show againā€™, or build your own code that utilizes the CPython 3 engine instead of the outdated Iron Python 2 engine.

1 Like

Ok, I then get an error in the FamilyInstance.ByGeometry node that states

ā€œTraceback (most recent call last);
File ā€œ,string.ā€, line l21, in NewForm_background
TypeError: expected Solid, got Meshā€

But as you can see the import geometry is Solid. I thought it might be related to the IronPython2 error, but maybe not. Thanks in advance

do you have dynamopython 2.7 package installed

No I have DynamoIronPython2.7.2.1

this one here ?

Yep
2023-09-01 14_57_07-Dynamo

Oh hang on mines v2.10

1 Like

hmmm i see your version is 2.1 try upgrade to 2.5ā€¦not sure

Are you trying to get this to change to show the opening in the pipe families which Revit utilizes, or are you trying to produce new families in the same location that wontā€™ have any of the built in Revit intelligence?

I just want to be able to graphically display the wall thickness of the pipe.

I understand from Autodesk that this isnā€™t possible with pipe system families in Revit so trying to find a workaround in Dynamo

There is no way to change the display of those native items.

You could convert to a standalone family, but you will no longer be able to edit anything about them and they will not have any parameters/system association, which is a very bad idea. Youā€™re basically going from a BIM workflow to a CAD one.

Why do you need to see the opening?

Client/Project Manager demands. They donā€™t understand why software that can model a pipe canā€™t then display it as a pipe. I get that it contains all the right pipe data and takes less processing power to display as a cylinder than a tube, but at the same time, they kinda have a point

it should actuelly work with void if you want see it in 3dā€¦but why we have a parameter there show the wall thicknessā€¦but sometimes i do it in section view etc with masking and insulation detail family