Dimension with Line Intersections

Hello everyone, I have a problem, I need to dimension my Revit model, where by making a line on the project, all the intersections that the line has can be dimensioned with Dynamo. So that in this way we can optimize work.
I’ve searched on several sites and so far I haven’t had any luck.
I hope you can help me.

Hello Laura,

Basically you are looking for a autodimensioning process where the elements intersecting with a line will be annotated. Is that right? It will be a long answer but let me break down for you.

For this process, I had a script where I used a 2D rectangle drawn with the detail line command in Revit and then in Dynamo, I extruded the rectangle and made a box so that I can pick elements below the level or above the level in case I need them.

For dimensioning, you can use different approaches but I used the reference planes of families such as windows, doors, columns and beams. Therefore I created a process where I picked categories that I want to include in the dimensioning process including grids and floor edges.

Here a breakdown of the selection process:

After the selection process you need to create a new set of scripts to put dimension on per category, which is the challenging part. Because while round columns have one reference plane to put dimension, rectangular columns have two reference plane. On the other hand, walls, floors and grids don’t have a reference plane which you need to use vertical surfaces in this case.

For these processes, you will need these nodes from Clockwork and Genius Loci packages: Surface.FilterByOrientation(from Clockwork) RevitFaceReference.FromDynamoSurface and Dimension ByReferences(from Genius Loci). Here a part of wall dimensioning processes:

If you need help with further details, please let me know. I just shared an overview of an example process not to put a lot of information that may cause a burnout :slight_smile:

I can help you further step by step on this one if you need further assistance. My suggestion for you is to start from the end which is Dimension ByReferences node from Genius Loci and try to figure out what you need to do to make that node worked.
Please check the video to see how the script works:

4 Likes