Dimension string

Hello Everyone ,

*I am trying to dimension the building exterior on the building, it is possible to dimension the footprint of the buildingimage but i am trying to achieve dimensions in a single string on each side of the building.
Is it possible?
Thanks in advance *

Here is the result, I can also update dynamo script and revit file

Is it possible to achieve the dimension string has shown in the image

Please let me know if it’s possible.

Thanks in advance

Hi @pmyneni Welcome to the forum :grinning:

Totally possible :+1:

I recommend having a look at this topic below, and similar ones throughout the forum (there are quite a few on dimensions from elements)

A hint would be to look at your list structures feeding the dimension creation node. :wink:

2 Likes

Another way forward is to use @Alban_de_Chasteigner’s Genius Loci package…

Dim Wall.dyn (40.2 KB)

I think this graph works ok for a single dimension, but if you wanted to expand it you would need a ‘line’ for every ‘dimension’… so you need to start grouping sets of lines and walls according to the ones which need to be dimensioned (and ideally auto generating the lines). My graph does a bit of that, but you’d need to go further…

Hope that’s of interest,

Mark

3 Likes

Thanks for the correspondence @Ewan_Opie wan_Opie
Previously I tried working on the one you recommended but it dint work well to my sample.
So tried building it with @Alban_de_Chasteigner’s Genius Loci package but failed with errors, I am still working on it.

Thanks a lot for your time Mark.

The script doesn’t work on the sample floor plan as shown in your image. I also tried making simple with 2 parallel walls and a perpendicular reference line, it gives empty list as shown in the below image

Could you please check with the image
Thanks again.

I tried to share the revit and Dynamo files but as a new user I am not able to attach any documents.

Hi,

Your List.FilterByBoolMask returns an empty list.
You don’t have a dimensionType called 2.5_con.
So look for another dimensionType or connect nothing to the optional DimensionType input of the Dimension.ByReference node.

2 Likes

Hi @Alban_de_Chasteigner

Thanks that works.

But the dimensions go random to interior or exterior of the wall whereas I am trying to dimension to the exterior face of the building, I tried switching the “Wall layer reference” node but it still dimensions to random faces of the wall.
Kindly check the images for better explanation:

Please let me know if you have a solution.
Thanks.

I also made sure by coping the floor plans in a empty project to check the issue but I have the same result. I am also attaching the revit sample file, just in case

Dimensions sample file.rvt (1.6 MB)

Thanks.

Hey,

You need to make sure that all your walls are correctly oriented, then you need to get the Interior Wall Face (as you tried previously)

Hope that helps,

Mark

Hello Mark,

Yes, I also tired getting Interior Wall Face and orienting the wall in the right way but it doesn’t dimension to the exterior face of the wall.
That’s the reason I am puzzled because I worked it on other floor plans and everything looks good but it doesn’t work the way it should.