Automatically create wall dimensions at locations dictated by detail lines

Hi Dynamo Experts,

I am trying to make a script that will dimension to the interior & exterior face of all walls that are intersected by a detail line with the specific type name of “_Auto Dimension”.

So far I have managed to create a script that achieves this with the exception of only placing the dimensions at the wall centrelines. I feel like I am so frustratingly close!

As a next step, I would like to also have this script collect and record the room name for each dimension segment underneath the dimension string. I imagine that I will need to somehow find the rooms that are intersected by each detail line and somehow filter this information into the dimensions once created. I haven’t started this yet as I would rather get step 1 working before further confusing myself.

I have attached the script I have made so far and a screenshot of the sample job I am using. Any help in pointing me in the right direction would be amazing!!

Hi @GoldCoastDrafting

Take a look at this topic for placement of your Dimension lines.

2 Likes

In addition to the post that @Ewan_Opie suggested, look at other posts concerning dimensioning by references. In my opinion that will give you the most control for dimensioning to the edges/faces/centerlines of just about anything.

For the second step, rhythm has a node called “Dimensions.GetReferenceElements”. This returns the element(s) that are being dimensioned to. From that point it’s just a matter of pulling the element name and appending that to the dimension text.

1 Like