Debugging custom node - no data flow

What is the best way to de-bug a custom node? I have a long graph that I want to condense. In Grasshopper you can just use cluster which are similar to custom nodes. But the problem with Dynamo custom nodes is:

1. You need to save the custom node separately somewhere. This is a pain because its not embedded in the main graph
  2. Data doesn’t flow through the custom node when editing it. Clusters in grasshopper allows data to flow so you can easily see where any problems exist.

The only way I’ve found around this is to cut and paste into the main graph which is just painful. Any other solutions?

Even using groups is a pain because as far as I can see there doesn’t appear to be an option to add or remove nodes from a group. You can to ungroup everything, regroup and rename each time a change in made.

Node to Code helps condense
If there was a way to reverse it, would have solved your problem :slight_smile:

I don’t think node to code is a solution because the point of using a custom node is that if I update one, it will update the others. This wouldn’t happen with a node to code would it?

OK so the group thing is solved. But I really need a custom node so I don’t have to copy the same nodes multiple times. So how can I see the data in the node?

There is a custom node that gives information on nested nodes.

I don’t see how this can help. This is just for maintenance. To fix an error you need to go into the node. Not being able to see the data makes it almost impossible to troubleshoot within the node environment.

There is a solution coming down the pipeline, that should address this issue:

1 Like

yes this is what I’m after. I guess I need to wait a bit longer

Could, but it will need to be converted to a function.
(Might be good if Node to Code could convert a code block to a DS function.)

Food for thought. An academic exercise below…

1 Like