Datashapes UI kills WorkSharingMonitor connection

Hello Dynamo Friends :slight_smile:

I have a new issue with the DataShapes MultipleInputForm++.
After running the node the WorkSharingMonitor loses the connection to revit.

Anyone has an idea whats going on?

Kind regards :slight_smile:

Edit: Oh @jacob.small had this problem already 5 years ago :smiley:
But how to solve this issue?

Work Share Monitor and Dynamo Player - Revit - Dynamo (dynamobim.com)

This review predates my time at Autodesk, but I now put very little faith in the value of worksharing monitor as a result of digging a bit further into the ‘why’. Multiple levels of the infosec policies and network structure which were in place prevented it’s use, and the tool doesn’t work at all with Revit Server or Cloud worksharing projects. As such at most firms it will not work at all, and suspect there is too stock put into it by the firms which do use the tool. Add in the conflict with Datashapes and that was pretty much the nail in the coffin.

Dynamo Player and DataShapes (or even without DataShapes) is likely a better value to your organization overall, so my advice is to use that tool and move on from WSM. If teams are syncing regularly (15 minute intervals) there should never be a significant enough lag to facilitate the need for it.

2 Likes

I have never used the worksharingmonitor but there are coworkers that can`t live without it.

So the question is, can we replace the WSM with a dynamo script? I saw some threads about worksharing information but didn`t start to read up on this topic…

If it`s possible to get the info who is in the model and who is currently syncing…then there is no need for the WSM.

Nope. WSM requires a <5ms response rate and direct access to all the systems concurrently, so Dynamo is out. It would be a many day long investment to rebuild it as your own add-in, and once you are done you may be in the same state while still having the same blocker you have now with DataShapes; your’d likely have the same limitations of the current WSM; and you’d have the handicap of not having a development team set up for maintenance and upkeep as the core product (Revit) is updated the many adjacent updates to deal with.

1 Like

First test in Revit 2023: It seems this problem does not exist anymore :slight_smile: