Create a Custom ID for a Shared parameter

I’m a Dynamo begginer and i am trying to create dynamo routine that take a Shared parameter and generate a ID with the family Type as a prefix, for exampe i would like to create a ID for all pipe fittings.

For example i would like to make it like X01 and so on, what i want to know if this is possible inside dynamo or i would need to do it in a python script?

I am trying to do inside dynamo but so far i can’t get anything done, if anyone has any suggestion on were to look or any article that has anything related to this subject.

My main issue is to how i am going to generate the ID list

So you’re looking to apply unique identifiers to all families based on type.

TypeA-001
TypeA-002
TypeB-001
TypeC-001
TypeC-002
TypeC-003

If that’s what you’re wanting you should try searching the forums a bit more. There are plenty of posts covering how to do this. If you have any specific questions about this process we’ll need more information and a screenshot of your graph so far.

1 Like

That is what i want to do, ill try to take a deeper look and try to find any posts regarding the same subject.
My issue is that i don’t know how i will generate the ID values.

I will try to gather some info and ill post my graph here later.

Thanks for the reply

I was able to add the SH, but is there a way for me to create an ID in an order just like you posted? starting from 01?
In this example i have 115 Hangers and i would like to name them in that order
SH01
SH02

Try to use a Range node and List.Count node.

Just to clarify, you’re not talking about the unique Element Id correct? You’re wanting a unique identifier for each element (01, 02, etc.) which, as @SeanP mentioned, is just a count of elements in each group. If you’re trying to use the Element Id then you’re not going to get nice consecutive numbers.

I was able to get the intended range and desired result. Thanks very much SeanP and Nick

can you post the script?