Copy/paste family across projects, Revit rename family to avoid conflicts

Hi Jacob, really appreciate your time, but copy/paste across projects is something you cannot ban users to do.
Building regulations change, at least in the UK every year, it is impossible to maintain detail libraries up date in all Revit versions.

Simply not true; You’re already doing this work, but you’re just doing it once for every job instead of managing the reuse, and in doing so you’re tripling the amount of effort required. Do it once, reuse it many times, and maintain the source.

“We had to create some detail for this condition which likely applies to other projects, and has passed QA so we moved the content into the standard detail file. This can be used at will, and as regulations change we can review in the context of all details while maintaining the BIM standards.”
vs
“We once did some details for a project from 2014, go copy those into the new job and then review them in relation to every regulatory change in the last 10 years, then grab some from 2016…”

Maybe for big organizations you can have dedicated team for this, but not sure how many could?

I mean… a team of 1 to 3 isn’t as bad as a team of 30, which is better than 100. At a certain point it’s someone’s full time job though (so big office territory).

Basically when you are done with a detail, copy it into the standard model. Any time you’re going to detail, open the standard details model, and use ‘insert from view’ or even copy/paste from that one file instead of the infinite possible projects. The only ‘additional’ time involved is moving the finished details into that file, which can happen as part of the project close out. You might get the occasional ‘different version’ in that process, but once that’s resolved the way you like it you’re done forever. In the end it’s easier for users too as they don’t have to remember where a detail came from, nor do they have to have the institutional knowledge that the ‘library addition has the good brick details, but the one in the bank addition will get us sued again’.

Long term I think we’ll see a lot of this change with Unifi and the potential for cloud repositories to be used for family library management (imagine “Load Autodesk Family” but instead “Load My Office Family”). Near term management of the content, training of the users, and some investment in technology to help with the larger management is the path I recommend.

1 Like