Columns with no foundation

Hi,

(This is my first post here, so pardon me if I did not follow some of the community guidlines.)

I am new to dynamo and revit.

I want to find out the column location/mark/list that do not have a foundation associated with them.

Revit does not seem to have any parameter that links foundation and columns, even thought if we place a foundation in the vicinity of a column, it attaches itself to the base of the column. But still, the host of a foundation shows up as a level.

I used Revit Lookup to figure out if any parameter were common and figured out that the XYZ location of the centroid of the column cross section and the foundation face would be typically same. But this would not hold valid for foundations that are offset.

I am open to any method that gets the job done (schedule in revit, dynamo, python, revit API …).
It would be great if someone could point me in the correct direction.

Thanks

Hi @adi, and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
This simple script using the SteamNodes package will get you started, as you can see I just selected the columns and the foundations, the node will group each column with its closest foundation:

2 Likes

@Ahmad_Saad
Wow, that’s what I was trying to do !
Thanks.

But typically there are hundreds of columns in a project. How do I make a list of columns that do not have a surrounding element (foundation)? I was looking at the default nodes and I did not find any “for” loops that I could run to put elements in a list based on some “if” criteria. I am not sure how to go about it.

@adi, can you please show us what you’ve been trying so far?

You can use this solution as well. Create a bounding box for all column elements and scale it to a specified offset distance to capture element enclosed within the bounding box.

@Ahmad_Saad This is what I finally ended up doing based on your recommendations

I would go into the excel file and any column with no associated foundation would not have a footing label in the corresponding row.

(It would not let me put 2 pictures in one post because I am a new user)

I want to take it further and make a “save selection” based on the element ids of the columns, so that I can view them in the revit model itself and make necessary changes. Also this selects columns that are on other floors as well so I would probably add something to select just the columns on grade level. But I am still not sure how to manipulate lists and how to think without conditional and looping statements.

@rexfrancojesse Thanks for your response. But I am so new to this I would need some time to understand what a bounding box means (:slight_smile:) .

Also, are the units inches that we enter through the code block ?

Thanks for your help guys.

Hi @adi

You can think of a boundingbox as an imaginary box that circumscribes all geometry of the element(s).

Marcel