Collect Point of selected element/face

Hi All,

I am tring to get points at edge so I can creat a line by point to create Framing which runs around Stair edge

I have select Landing and Stair run one by one as an individual element.

Could you please help me

My stair is in a link model

Hi is it this perimeter curve here you want or ??

Hi Mr.@sovitek, yes what you highlighted is correct, i want inner and out edge perimeter/point
On which i need to make a structure farming to support the stairs

Thanks

Hi could you share a rvt only the stair ?

Geometry.Explode to get the surfaces from the solid geometry.

Then get the Z the normal at parameter 0.5,0.5 for each surface with a Surface.NormalAtParameter. This is the ‘facing direction’ of each surface.

Pull the Z component of each with a Vector.Z node. This tells us the vertical component of the facing direction. Something with a value of 1 is facing perfectly up - that surface was level. Something with a value of 0 has no slope to it - that surface is vertical and plumb. Something with a value of -1 is perfectly down - that surface is also level.

Then check if that Z value is less than -0.1. This will give us a clue on any surface which is ‘partially facing down’, meaning it is in some way defining the bottom of the stair.

Use that boolean value to filter the original list of surfaces so you only have stuff which faces down.

Take the ‘in’ results into a PolySurface.ByJoinedSurfaces node and disable all other geometry preview to confirm you have the right surfaces. If you caught stuff like riser surfaces decrease the value of -0.1 until it is good for your design. If you wind up without the underside of the run then you have gone too far.

Pull the perimeter curves of the polysurface this list of curves should be the outline drawn above.

3 Likes

Hi Mr. @jacob.small I will give it a try. and let you know the result

thanks for your insights

Hi @jacob.small , Thank you very much for your guidance
i think it worked well and gave me what i needed

I hope i got all the step correct as you mentioned

Many thnaks

2 Likes

Hi @jacob.small @sovitek

I am getting multiple very small lines as we have multiple points at perimeter.

I can sort for one element but as i have multiple element and index value of them is not same it is hard for me to select desire point for multiple elements

Is there any efficient way so i can eliminate multiple line or have less of them

It is giving multiple line at same spot or around

Hard to say without seeing the geometry. I am not at my CPU today so I can’t test stuff either.

@jacob.small no problem i have shared stair revit file above if you remember this when you’re on your machine

I would love to see better approach by an expert
Thanks

Hi, you will use a lot of steps to find an automation solution to your problem
after what Mr. Jacob mentioned
process of recovering the lower faces
attached step elimination of the presence of reverse side spoiler

you are left with residual offset junctions to create a uniform polysurface
Good luck
Sincerely
christian.stan

1 Like

Hi @christian.stan Legend,

Always bangs with a efficient approach :slight_smile:

I will try it and get back to you

thanks,
Vinay

2 Likes

I would try as Jacob or Christian…but here i just play araound with a very alternative method…could probably work as well

1 Like

Hi @sovitek, I am not able to see the nodes clearly, could you please share a clear snip or dyn file please

arhh sorry…It was just a test i didnt save it…

but basicly i just tale the vertical surface and sort by area

ahhh, could you name the custom node you used
it is hard to read, sorry for troubling you

yes sure if can remember, cant even see my own image :wink: :wink: and you know early sunday morning…

for select link components its genius loci, clockwork for surfaces, and ampersand for unsorted polycurves…try it :wink:

no probleam Mr @sovitek enjoy your sunday
Thanks for your help

as always legendary @christian.stan , it worked well and i was able to eliminate very small line into a big one solid line
thanks man :saluting_face:

Just one question it will work for any stair geometry or it will be specific to this one or similar kind of ge

ometry

Hello to different geometry different disposal solution.
Example: if your risers are slightly inclined they have a Z component on the vector and presto you have to find a new means of elimination
The solution is everywhere, I don’t believe it
Sincerely
christian.stan