Classification system with Dynamo

Hello,
Is there anyone who tried to add a classification system to a Revit model, through Dynamo from an Excel file with all the codes?

Classification of what?

Classification of all the elements from the model, like UniClass or CCS.
I know there are programs for doing that already, is just a school situation.

Certainly doable, and I’ve seen similar efforts but nothing shared as a full scale solution.

Maybe even in a small scale?

All elements of category for a given category, group by key to get sub-classifications in the category, then Element.SetParameterValueByName to set the classification parameter accordingly.

I am trying to follow you, but I keep getting the error of “the parameter name not found”. Even though I want to write a new one. Is it the node problem, Should I use a different one?

Is it a type or instance parameter?

Type parameter.
I want basically to write for each category : CCSTypeID, CCSCategoryID, CCSCodeID.
I want these 3 to be parameters for each element, and after that, the value of each it will be coming from an excel spread sheet, According to each category.

Then instead of setting a value to the instance you need to set a value to the type. Pull the family type and remove the duplicates and you should be fine.

But in the family type I cannot find “walls, windows, doors” and so on.

https://dictionary.dynamobim.com/#/Revit/Elements/Element/Query/ElementType

That will work for windows and doors and any loadable family type.

Walls, floors, ceilings, and other system family types will be different all around as they don’t have a ‘point’ to work with. You. Could grab a midpoint off the location line for some of these, but items which are sketch based (floors, ceilings, stairs) will require several more steps. And even with a midpoint things may go poorly. I can see instances where walls/pipes/etc are in 3 or four quadrants quite often, so you’ll want to think those situations through carefully.

2 Likes